Author Topic: T2 mylar removal  (Read 358 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
T2 mylar removal
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:32:42 PM »
No going back now. I have just removed everything I need to from the playfield and have peeled up some mylar "freestyle" method  @.@

No all was ok, I only peeled about a inch or so at various locations, very carefully. To my surprise the mylar was easy to pick at with my finger nails and even easier to peel back on solid playfield artwork. The mylar and glue seemed to come right off the playfield leaving no residue. I couldn't believe the ease but I know you can get fooled and pay the penalty. This has given me a lot of hope though, that all will go well, but around the inserts may be a different story.

Because I had a lifted insert (repaired now), I'm going the freeze option to hopefully save all my insert decals etc but my little experiment above makes me think it'll leave a lot of gum residue that may not otherwise be the case with heat  !@#

I will try to take pictures, but may lean towards videoing as it will be easier. Wish me luck for the week end  ^^^

« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 08:36:34 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: T2 mylar removal
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 08:55:11 PM »
Best of luck.  Mylar can be a bit like a face peel - looks worse afterwards but once the elbow grease kicks in, tedious hours of glue removal is worth it as your PF will look like new.

Have you a playfield stand?  Much easier to do that way.  10min job to remove it from cabinet.

Just don't rush it what ever you do.  Keep the heat on (or freeze) and slowly slowly..

^^^

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »
Thanks mate. I don't have a stand but I have a high bar stool and access around the whole machine (thanks to the pinball trolley).

I haven't covered all my bases like where to get replacement decals, but hope a little that I wont need to go that option.

The little bit of mylar a pulled up and quickly polish with novus looked real nice  *%* My only other concern with freeze is clouding of the inserts. I've read to hit it with the hair dryer immediately. So I'll have that handy when I start. Planned attempt is Sunday.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline SPURR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
I have have just removed the mylar off my T2. I used a heat gun giving it short spurts of heat (these get really hot ) and the mylar came up easy as with no evidence of damage at all to the playfield. I then used turps to remove the glue, all clean now and looks new.