Author Topic: EXPO 2010 NOW DEAD  (Read 8373 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
EXPO 2010 NOW DEAD
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:13 AM »
This is rough point form breakdown of something i read on another pin site. I am sure everyone will be dis-appointed.

*unfortunate pinball expo 2010 cancelled -postponed due to a lack of funding
*may not have been able to find the right venue
*writer wants next expo to be different to last years auction
* hoping to acquire speakers for next years expo
*promises next years will go ahead

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know alot of people had mixed feelings about last years expo, some loved it, some didnt, some said it would only be a one hit wonder for a few blokes to auction off some old pins, but i think everyone really wants to see a really well organised expo, with ALL of the Pinball Industry and Pinball Community to be showcased at its best.
Probably better to not have a expo this year and do it properly next year. But in the end, it has died unfortunately.
Was the first one really only a one hit wonder to flog some old pins off ? Time will tell. I hope a Real Expo with all the Pinball Industry attending happens.
Now, it might be time for Melbourne to throw its hat in the ring and get something happening. Mark is probably the only person in Australia who could make something happen. I dont think anyone rerally cares where it is held, or who by, but as long as there is one.
Anyone got any ideas to throw into the hat to get a good expo going. For those who went last year, you guys should have a good idea as to what the next one could be like ?

Anyone else got any ideas ?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:07:47 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: EXPO 2010 NOW DEAD
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 01:09:49 AM »

I'll send him this one, it's a spare.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 07:56:57 PM »

I'll send him this one, it's a spare.

you didn't go to work today did you Nick?
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
you didn't go to work today did you Nick?

Not sure what you mean - what's "work" ??
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 08:16:53 PM »
I think it is a mistake to lose the momentum that was gained by not holding one this year.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:35 AM »

shame as always hoped it would become a stand alone expo .  at least some members here got to go last year

as for me doing one  not at this stage , there was some talk of one in melbourne on aussie arcade a long time ago , i havent heard anymore  since then.

if we could ever get a expo like the usa does it would be great for pinball , but these things cost allot of money to have and to arrange. so i undestand why the need for a auction ,  but best of luck to anyone who trys and has the balls to put everything on the line to do one

good luck

mark

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 09:40:31 AM »
dont worry mark, we will talk u into it.

just imagine how many machines, both new stern and the usual pinnys u would sell, not to mention the parts.

i reckon u could make a heap of money off the expo, as well as geting all the other professional companys involved. every pinhead in australia and from other countries would have a blast.

the problem at the moment ofcourse, is that Child Amusements and PSP are flat out with not much time available.

We will build a few borg drones to take on some of the expo duties. It will be fine !  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 12:02:25 PM »
dont worry mark, we will talk u into it.

just imagine how many machines, both new stern and the usual pinnys u would sell, not to mention the parts.

i reckon u could make a heap of money off the expo, as well as geting all the other professional companys involved. every pinhead in australia and from other countries would have a blast.

the problem at the moment ofcourse, is that Child Amusements and PSP are flat out with not much time available.

We will build a few borg drones to take on some of the expo duties. It will be fine !  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Brett

I would love to hold a expo and I am sure so would Damien
as for Pinball Spare Parts Australia  would be involved , child amusements wouldn't as it really has closed down and no longer trades

I just cant see myself or PSPA  finding all the time to set it up , I can only image the hours and weeks to do this and the funds  to cover it
it was a great risk by the guys last year and I hope they did alright out of it with the auction sales .
I am sure though if others here wanted to do we would gladly help or at least come along , but just a Saturday stall sale cant be a expo or a weekend thing
you would need it set up like the Sydney one or more so like the ones in USA , more people displaying parts and pins , but would everyone turn up.  

to be honest most people in this industry hate me ! I guess because I am a prick !  and have lowered the parts prices by  50% plus on lots of items !  check out prices lists from 3 years ago before PSP started and see   11630 coils  35.00  now 9.95   starposts  2.75   now as low as 49 cents , rubbers  3.00  now 75 cents  doors 149.00  now 54.95 legs  149.00  now 69.00  the list goes on  , now we working on stern , gtb and ramps   we  ( now with Damien as PSPA)  will do the same , so honestly I don't think many would want me there !  but still I would go

and we haven't even started on machines yet

in the end its the customer that decides the price as if they don't buy we don't sell , as we are seeing with some sites  now having less stock and looking at closing down .

Kind Regards,

Mark.c.

Pinball Spare Parts Australia Pty Ltd
Factory 6, 176 Canterbury Road, Bayswater North VIC 3153
E: markc@pinballsparepartsaustralia.com
T: 03 9720 6422 M: 0419 384 911 F: 03 9720 7344
W: pinballspareparts.com.au
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:08:29 PM by markc »

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 01:15:38 PM »
Personally I think it is this mentality that will be the undoing of any type of event or expo.  People aren't stupid and know when things are nothing but a money grab.  Expo should be seen an introduction to pinball for newbies and an opportunity for people already in the hobby to meet and greet like minded folks, retailers and put faces to user names and pick up some great deals.  The opportunity for sales and revenue comes afterwards with repeat customers.

If the organiser/s made any money out of the event then that would be a bonus, the main aim should be to cover costs and be thankful for any profit.

What that statement says to me is that if I go I am just going to get ripped off at every opportunity.  That's not the message that should be portrayed and even put out there in a public forum of any type.  Who's to say that Joe Blow hears about an expo coming up, thinks it would be cool to own his first machine, starts hunting around on the net to find out more and then reads comments like that.  As I have already mentioned, costs need to be covered - that goes without saying, but think long term.....another person in the hobby is going to generate more income in the long run that ripping someone off so they get out of the hobby as soon as they got into it.  It's not always about making as much money as you can, every time.

......just imagine how many machines, both new stern and the usual pinnys u would sell, not to mention the parts.

i reckon u could make a heap of money off the expo, as well as geting all the other professional companys involved. every pinhead in australia and from other countries would have a blast.......
Addicted to pins.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
An event like this is always going to be "a bunch of blokes in a backyard shed" unless someone takes it seriously. A proper event planner needs to be employed and steps need to be taken to advertise the event to the widest possible audience and with the most advance notice possible. Most events like this are advertised as much as a year in advance.

Sure there are costs involved such as venue hire, advertising etc etc but some or most of these can be recovered through drink/food sales - a modest door charge that could (for one example) be refunded upon the purchase of any item from an exhibitor with the exhibitor undertaking to cover the door charge upon purchase.

If a person (or group of people) are only running it to 'make money' it is doomed to failure right from the start as most can spot a money grab a mile away.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:06:27 PM »

you would hope that going towards the costs  you would be able to cover 50% with a door fee  and have stalls and even drinks ( no grog) and even say a pinball comp    these could help cover fees
even  t shirts and so on , again like the ones in USA  , be nice to get as many pinball stalls as you can and even if you have to seperate them all  at each end , and have pins in the middle for people to play
these could be for a auction or retailers to show off , I am sure you could get pins from everywhere and sayd a small charge for pin put on show , to help cover costs

Kind Regards,

Mark.c.

Pinball Spare Parts Australia Pty Ltd
Factory 6, 176 Canterbury Road, Bayswater North VIC 3153
E: markc@pinballsparepartsaustralia.com
T: 03 9720 6422 M: 0419 384 911 F: 03 9720 7344
W: pinballspareparts.com.au   

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 02:08:40 PM »
An event like this is always going to be "a bunch of blokes in a backyard shed" unless someone takes it seriously. A proper event planner needs to be employed and steps need to be taken to advertise the event to the widest possible audience and with the most advance notice possible. Most events like this are advertised as much as a year in advance.

Sure there are costs involved such as venue hire, advertising etc etc but some or most of these can be recovered through drink/food sales - a modest door charge that could (for one example) be refunded upon the purchase of any item from an exhibitor with the exhibitor undertaking to cover the door charge upon purchase.

If a person (or group of people) are only running it to 'make money' it is doomed to failure right from the start as most can spot a money grab a mile away.

said about the same thing re food and so sales

Offline Damien

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »

Hello Guys,

I would love a expo, and being involve with NAMOA ( national amusement machines assoc aust) they are a national industry body and struggle to get a event off the ground.

They did a melb one last year and most interstate operators didnt show.

AMD didnt even bring a new pinball to the show.

When LAI did expos our budget was huge and we never made a profit, but all the suppliers sent product to be dispalyed.

we really only have stern now days, and im sure they wont pay for it.. they currently dont go to the expo in chicago. All sterns for the comps are paid for in advance.

PSPA would be happy to be involved, but knowing the bitchyness of the pinball industry, if we went others wouldnt.
I personally have tried to offer all forums our discount on new sterns and was told flatly that those forums did not want their members to buy them.

we are here for pinball..
damien

Offline JurassicP

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 03:58:46 PM »
Like most things organising an expo, conference, meeting etc etc. Take's time, motivation, but most of all money...

Money is tight and the potential list of sponsors in Australia for this type of gathering is minimal. It's a great idea but hard to get momentum and even harder to maintain this momentum.....

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 05:47:37 PM »
I spose what I was trying to say, which has been echoed in the other posts above is that you can't expect to make big bucks, if any, out of an expo alone.  It is really a bit of a show and shine and an attempt to get everyone together in the same spot and a chance to get newbies involved as well.

It is a shame there is way too much politics in this industry but I can't see that changing anytime soon.

In lieu of expo, I'd love to see a pinball market get up and running somewhere, no glitz and glamour just a community hall that could be anywhere or travel around, sort of like the computer fairs, and have a place to either display your stuff, offer it for sale, run a tournament or do whatever you would like to do with it.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:27:19 AM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.