Author Topic: Buyer's and Seller's Guide - Suggestion thread  (Read 5598 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Buyer's and Seller's Guide - Suggestion thread
« on: August 10, 2010, 06:55:59 PM »
I will add my  :2cents:

I've sold a couple of pins via Aussie Pinball and via Aussie Arcade.

I have generally listed mine as local pickup only.  I understand this makes it difficult for the interstate guys, but transport can (as we all know) cause problems.

I will detail all new parts purchased and work undertaken.  I find this easier rather than listing everything I have not done.  Leaves out any doubt / assumptions.

I will list as many photos of I can.  If there is obvious wear I'll list it and photograph it.

Communication.  I encourage questions.  If you have a question, concern or specifically want to know if something has been fixed or want another photograph, close up etc.  ASK.

If the seller avoids it, doesn't respond with what you want, walk away from the deal.

If I'm requested to specifically do something to complete the sale, I will do it and photograph / video and communicate with the purchaser prior to completion of the sale to ensure they are happy with it.

In the past on eBay I've stated that I am happy for ANY independent inspection to be done on the machine.  For the interstater's,  we pretty much have members in every corner.  If I was buying a machine interstate, I would ask for a member to visit and inspect the machine and / or photograph for me and report back prior to the game shipping.

I would be happy (if negotiated into the price) to have ANY commercial tech inspect the machine.  So I would welcome Mark's techs, Bumpers techs, BCW techs to inspect the machine and provide an independent report to the purchaser.  Obviously nobody can look into the future and like a pre-purchase inspection on a vehicle things can still go wrong.  But perhaps for a small fee (I am sure it could be done in an hour) would give some assurance to the purchaser.  Maybe this is something the commercial guys can look at?

I don't agree that the mods need to do a lot of work in the for sale section.  I do think perhaps a locked thread for anybody (mostly new people to the hobby / buying pins) should read before buying privately or commercially.  Perhaps it can list the following:

• Research.  Do your research.  Look on http://www.ipdb.org to get an idea of what the playfield / plastics / ramps should look like.
  • Research.  Check the owners thread and email / PM an owner of the machine and ASK what to look out for, common problems, wear spots, hard to get parts etc.
  • Ask for an independent inspection by another member.
  • Ask for more photos, better descriptions
  • Check http://www.pinpedia.com for recent ebay sales prices
  • Compare machines.  Visit a commercial seller, inspect their machines, ask questions.