Author Topic: *PURCHASE HAS TURNED TO CRAP.  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: *PURCHASE HAS TURNED TO CRAP.
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 08:57:53 PM »
Strangeways, i asked for the item to be fumigated at their end as per advice i recieved in Australia. Because mainly of the high wood content of the item and also the wood packaging. I was told it had to be fumigated, prior to arriving in Australia. I was told that it will not be allowed to be released from the Australian bond store unless fumigation certificate was provided by USA. (isnt it too late to fumigate a container against bugs n stuff if u let it land on australian soil, without killing the bugs first. wouldnt the bad bugs just crawl off when the container arrives. i thought the horse would have bolted by then, hence the bugspray b4 it leaves usa). ?

Also, the machine is sharing a container with alot of other peoples items. Perhaps this also had something to do with it. I am no expert, just the dummy who has handed over money and is relying on so called other experts. This is not sometihing i do very often, relying on others, i mean. I run a tight ship with my business and usually only deal with people who can give me straight answers and educated advice. It seems importing something from the uSA wasnt one of them. lol  !@#

my fingers n toes are still crossed all goes well.

Hey, it might be good for someone who has a decent amount of experience to post a new thread about bringing stuff in from Europe or the USA.

Hmmm..

I've brought in single machines and a container from Europe. Neither were fumigated. If the supplier states in his packing declaration that he used cardboard and NOT wood for packing, then you do not need to fumigate. In August 2009, there was a new condition - a "Plastic Wrap" declaration = No plastic wrap around the machines. Not sure if and how this is enforced. Because my supplier filled out the paperwork correctly, Customs passed my goods without fumigation. Customs can inspect and demand the fumigation be done.

I'd say yours had to be fumigated because of the possibility of "cross contamination" - and so that the supplier / Freight Forwarder can make money.

AQIS can demand the container be fumigated - regardless of your paperwork. Items from Asia are almost always fumigated - furniture / bamboo etc..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia