Author Topic: Are there fewer and fewer machines being sold  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Top Card

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Are there fewer and fewer machines being sold
« on: February 26, 2019, 11:26:53 PM »
I am interested in the opinions of members and guests. It seems that as I look around at forums, dealers and even ebay there are fewer and fewer machines changing hands, down quite a lot from even a couple of years ago. What does everyone think ?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Are there fewer and fewer machines being sold
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:29:39 AM »
The main reasons are that prices are too high, and supply is low compared to 10 years ago. I think the price increases have kept selling and trading games less frequent amongst collectors. Dealer prices are through the roof, and have been for quite some time. The other aspect is that the quality of work on dealer pins has declined as profit margins decrease due to supplier prices going up significantly. There's no more "bang for buck" from dealers / sellers. Having said that, there are some good deals out there, but they are a lot less frequent.

I think it will get worse. The last two years has been a problem as many collectors have been bitten by WOZ, Predator, TBAG etc etc. Collectors are now holding on to their money and going back to wanting TAF, TZ etc etc - but they are always in for a shock when they see the prices, and quality of workmanship. At the moment, the only affordable games are games like Shadow, Dr Who, Demo Man - these were "C" grade titles years ago. There is also a heavy leaning towards Sega and System 11s as these fit within realistic budgets these days.

There is still a heavy demand for High End Restorations - but these are nearly always "Holy Grails".

Eventually supply will run out, and prices will peak - I still don't think we have peaked - and then it will drop. The industry has always been in one big cycle, so prices will drop and machines will find their way out of collections as we get older and the next generation have no interest.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:33:17 AM »
It does seem like a lot less, especially the "cookie-cutter" games, and what is around is extraordinarily expensive these days.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
im not sure about fewer game for sale, but there are many more places to sell
most people used to use ebay, or a forum. but now we have gumtree, and a few Facebook pages (some not even pinball related ) . it would be hard to follow everywhere

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:55:47 PM »
im not sure about fewer game for sale, but there are many more places to sell
most people used to use ebay, or a forum. but now we have gumtree, and a few Facebook pages (some not even pinball related ) . it would be hard to follow everywhere

I have a customer who has his phone in his hand at all times. As soon as he receives notification from one of the various sites like eBay and Gumtree, he literally buys any EM if it has a BIN price he likes.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia