Author Topic: Williams WPC Driver / power supply board repair  (Read 9403 times)

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Well - I 'deem' the artwork is good enough for a 'one-off' project.

Certainly far from perfect but it should do the job and prevent another pinball board from being scrapped.

I'll get one made in the next day or so along with the Dracula Long Opto board.

what would you have done differently? I have just thrown this together as it is a one off. Also it is the first time I have used this software, I find protel a lot more flexible, its lot easier to fine tune and neaten things up. I had to make some of the tracks thick as i could due to the current draw and as i mentioned before I had to fit this all into a smaller area the the original and on a single sided board.
also I have noticed on the above picture that some of the holes are smaller than needed, is it only showing the centres or is that the actual hole size?
Just so everyone knows I wasn't going for perfect. &&

Don't misunderstand - I'm not having a dig at all - not for a second. It is certainly fine the way it is. ^^^

The holes shown are centre holes only for drilling - not the finished hole size. I think the heavy tracks are perfect. I am a little concerned about the thin tracks for a 'homemade board" but I have fattened them as much as I could without creating other issues.

It's all good and I'm sure the finished result will be spot on!!  #*#
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Well done Mike and Andrew. Its this sort of help and teamwork that makes Aussie Pinball the greatest forum on the planet.  ^^^

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
No probs mate, I wasn't familiar with your sense of humour  @.@. I can fatten the other tracks up and increase some of the pad sizes if you like (where I can). Its just with protel I can break a track anywhere I like and increase the width for that section only. I haven't figured out if or how i can do this on free pcb.  !@# .
Some are a bit thin for my liking also.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:13:36 PM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Yes, there are some limitations making 'homemade boards' the way I do it. Board factories (naturally) can make make smaller tracks etc. I actually convert the Gerber to a .png then import that into Corel Draw - that allows me to tidy a few things up a lot faster for a 'one off'. That also makes it dead easy to add images like the Homepin logo etc.

Naturally there are dozens of ways to do a one off board - none of the them are the "right way" but I have found this method to be the fastest way with the best 'bang for buck' result.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Yes, there are some limitations making 'homemade boards' the way I do it. Board factories (naturally) can make make smaller tracks etc. I actually convert the Gerber to a .png then import that into Corel Draw - that allows me to tidy a few things up a lot faster for a 'one off'. That also makes it dead easy to add images like the Homepin logo etc.

Naturally there are dozens of ways to do a one off board - none of the them are the "right way" but I have found this method to be the fastest way with the best 'bang for buck' result.

So that's your little trick. &&
So would you like me to thicken up the rest of the thin tracks?
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Well my part of this excellent project is done. Time for Beaky to take over again and see it through to the end.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Mike, that looks great.  $#$
Thanks again for your help and service.
Can't wait till it gets here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Simply amazing ! Well done to all - keep us posted on the progress  *%*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
IT DOESNT GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT. Very talented Mike.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
Speechless,well done Mike and so quick as well.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
Well done Andrew & Mike excellent team work  ^^^, I haven't logged onto AP for a week or so.. this board repair is progressing very well, keep up all the good work  $#$

As the end user of this board my family & I are looking forward to playing CFTBL again. Aussie pinball is the best pinball place on the planet, thanks again.

Cheers

Leon
aka v8racefan 
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
your welcome Leon.
I am just waiting for the new triacs and transistors to arrive.
I won't use the existing triacs because as i mentioned before they where not bolted to the heat-sinks properly and have been running way to hot so i can't guarantee the existing triacs will last.
I will test it in one of brett's pins before i bring it around.

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Finally the triacs have arrived. The pcb is all ready for testing. once this is done and all is proven to work correctly i will give the pcb a clean to remove any flux & a good coat of clear pcb lacquer.
I will post more photos tomorrow,
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:10:17 AM by beaky »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Simply outstanding !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
+ 1 fantastic effort, keep up the great work  ^^^
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.