Author Topic: If you are thinking of buying the new KISS CD........  (Read 558 times)

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
If you are thinking of buying the new KISS CD........
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »
DON'T

It's terrible.... !*!

This is coming from a guy that used to worship these guys and was a diehard from 1975
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:31:30 PM by illawarra_steelers »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Sad for you mate - haven't heard it but it's no good when what was once great just churns out something below standard - it's almost disrespectful to the fans.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I'm the "definition" of a diehard KISS fan. I started off in 1977, and probably lost interest a straight after the "Farewell Tour". I have the most obscure collection of memorabilia - Their FIRST tour T-Shirt, Ice Cream Wrappers, three KISS pinballs, signed albums (have met with them a few times) and a signed tattoo.

I'm qualified to comment that the new album "Sonic Boom" is rubbish - Call it "Sonic Doom"  !@)

Sorry - but this album was supposed to sound like their 70's albums (original lineup), but is sounds like one of their cheesiest 80's albums and probably sounds like a poorer "Unmasked" album.

I cannot play it again, it sounds nothing like a KISS album, and we were "promised" is would have a 70's "feel" to it - and be the next "Destroyer". Not even close to any songs on that brilliant album.

Stanley's voice is a "rasp" and he sounds more like Peter Criss these days.

Gene's songs are crap - same writing as his "asshole" solo album (which was a failure). At least he IS playing on this album. No ghost musicians.

Thayer is just ripping off Ace - no originality at all - he is just a very good copy-cat - but he does not have the "feel" of Ace..

Singer - Well he is simply the most proficient musician in KISS. This guy is one of the best drummers in the business.

These guys HAVE to stop - it is embarrassing. AT LEAST - Drop the "tribute band" status, bring Kulick back into the band and write an album like "Revenge". No make up or massive stage show.. The new album material is not even in the same decade as the 70's music.

If anyone can claim the "classic KISS sound" - it is the guy responsible for that sound - Ace Frehley - BUY HIS ALBUM - ANOMALY - It is simply outstanding.

"Sonic Doom" - Hyped up, but does not deliver at all. Bad luck for KISS is that Ace's album was released at the same time and is getting RAVE reviews !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
I wasnt even aware that KISS (OR Ace for that matter) had new albums out. But based on Tony and Nino's responses to the new KISS album i dont think i'll bother with it. Now ACE on the other hand i think i'll have to look for his latest offering. Im so glad to know he's still going!! Ace was always one of my fav guitar players and still is. (i remember reading in an interview once that the music critics considered Ace to be the only serious musician in the band) .

The truth is i lost some respect for KISS when i found out that they didnt play their own instruments on a lot of their recordings, ie Gene would play rhythm guitar etc, and that they often got session players in as well. And its been well documented that ALIVE was heavily overdubbed in the studio so it cant really be called a TRUE live album as far as im concerned. I'll probably be crucified  for saying all this.. maybe i shouldnt be posting this after drinking ..lol

Dont get me wrong im still a fan of the band (mainly their early stuff), it was KISS who made me want to be a guitar player and singer in bands in the first place.  AND my holy grail pinball is still a KISS *%* *%*

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 10:20:34 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline braddo

• Forum Posts:
Mmmm i didn't know albums were out by these guys either, not that i'm a huge fan but always interested in what Kiss does. Maybe cut 'em some slack though, they're only human and man, i reckon they've been through so much shit, and seen so much in their career we can't even imagine. When it comes to bands like Kiss, that were and are just so huge i always look at the other side of the coin. I'll have to grab a copy of the new album and check it out for myself. Die hard fans, PLEASE don't flame me!
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
I wasnt even aware that KISS (OR Ace for that matter) had new albums out. But based on Tony and Nino's responses to the new KISS album i dont think i'll bother with it. Now ACE on the other hand i think i'll have to look for his latest offering. Im so glad to know he's still going!! Ace was always one of my fav guitar players and still is. (i remember reading in an interview once that the music critics considered Ace to be the only serious musician in the band) .

The truth is i lost some respect for KISS when i found out that they didnt play their own instruments on a lot of their recordings, ie Gene would play rhythm guitar etc, and that they often got session players in as well. And its been well documented that ALIVE was heavily overdubbed in the studio so it cant really be called a TRUE live album as far as im concerned. I'll probably be crucified  for saying all this.. maybe i shouldnt be posting this after drinking ..lol

Dont get me wrong im still a fan of the band (mainly their early stuff), it was KISS who made me want to be a guitar player and singer in bands in the first place.  AND my holy grail pinball is still a KISS *%* *%*

I was shattered when I found out Alive! was not exactly "live" - But then again - EVERYONE was doing the same think back in those days. My favorite live albums from this period - KISS ALIVE!, Frampton comes Alive and Live at the Budokan all had the same "treatment". If you ever find the KISS "Lost Concert" - which is a true live album (a soundboard I believe) from 1978 - That is simply awesome live material from their peak.

Quite common for Kulick, Stanley and Frehley to play bass on a lot of the albums - sessions bass players littered through the 80's albums. I'm sure more will surface if Ace ever wrote an autobiography.

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
If this is the best a once classic band can put out in TEN F*CKING YEARS since their last one it's time to stop.

Sorry Nino....but the only positive on the CD is Tommy's lead....it's AWESOME

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Now before i start i have got a few drinks under my belt ( funny saying that, as i don't need a belt now a days to keep my pants up)
Unfortunatly the 70's and 80's are gone, and back in the 70's and 80's so many of the older people (people who are the same age as what i am now) would tell me the 60's were the good ol' days.
but back in the 70's and 80's i am sure these guys (KISS) were doing more drugs than we had meals ( well i was in the 80's any way) where was i  !@# oh thats right (see i wasn't lying about the drugs)
back then they had new ideas and younger brains plus the music was raw.
(After hearing this album i will say this)Think of it this way. you get together with a few of your mates who you hung out with back in the eightys and decide we will go out and do what we used to do back then, but all the lessons that you have learnt and your maturity get in the way (+ the modern world) so you end up doing something that won't get you locked up for six months if you got caught and try and say at the end of the night this is what we used to do.
its not the same is it?
well thats what kiss tried to do with thier new album.

i hope you guys could make sense of that because i could ( well sort of) as i said at the start i have had a few drinks **)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 02:33:50 AM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Man I love both albums but hey I'm just a KISS fanatic..

Rock on boys..Had to add photo it's a highlight of my life $#$ $#$ ^^^

Peter

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
So Peter....which one of them is you?  :lol :lol

Would be the first time I have ever seen Eric Singer smile, or even look a bit happy

Cool photo!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
DON'T

It's terrible.... !*!

This is coming from a guy that used to worship these guys and was a diehard from 1975

!@# !@# Well im confused!! !@# !@# Where did you get the notion that it MIGHT be good??

Ok - allow me to explain...

They were crap in 70,s
crap in 80.s
crap in 90,s
The pinball is crap
They look like crap  ( the make up was always SO lame!)

!*! Now why on earth would you think that things may have changed?? !*!

(written on behalf of Retropin by unnamed source. Retropin hiding in 1M thick flame suit in preparation of vicious backlash)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
DON'T

It's terrible.... !*!

!@# !@# Well im confused!! !@# !@# Where did you get the notion that it MIGHT be good??

Ok - allow me to explain...

They were crap in 70,s
crap in 80.s
crap in 90,s
The pinball is crap
They look like crap  ( the make up was always SO lame!)

!*! Now why on earth would you think that things may have changed?? !*!

(written on behalf of Retropin by unnamed source. Retropin hiding in 1M thick flame suit in preparation of vicious backlash)

No backlash from me Gav  &&

You were brought up in jolly old England and probably you don't understand real music with all the "New Wave" 80's trash still running around your head

%%$ %%$ %%$ %%$ %%$

If this is the best a once classic band can put out in TEN F*CKING YEARS since their last one it's time to stop.

Sorry Nino....but the only positive on the CD is Tommy's lead....it's AWESOME

Actually, Tommy's playing is annoying and is the reason I particularly don't like this album - He is totally unoriginal. He SOUNDS and PLAYS like a "poor man's Ace" - At least you could easily identify the previous guitarists, as they brought their own style. Remember - Tommy played in an 80's metal band called "Black and Blue", that were heavily influenced by KISS. He then formed a KISS cover band "Cold Gin" - and toured for years. So instead of developing a unique style of his own - he has just been an Ace Frehley clone for 20 years. It is glaringly obvious on this album.

Eric Singer is my favorite "modern" drummer - and he is not "imitating" Peter Criss as he is technically a FAR superior drummer. You can see that Eric adds his own style and feel to the songs - a lot more bombastic and powerful. If Eric was ever accused of imitating a drummer - it would be Eric Carr - similar style. Both Erics are totally different drummers than Peter Criss.

No matter what - Sonic Doom is not what we were promised. Another "let down".

Time to pull out KISSOLOGY and watch the "real" KISS..

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
KISS were an awesome band from 1975 - 1978 and and around 1990 - 1993

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
For the record I'm the good looking bloke in the middle #@# and yeah i had a ball that day as a mate and I spent an hour with the guys just talking. Your right Nino Eric is a great drummer and adds his own style and Tommy is put there just to be an Ace clone at which I think he does well. Everyone has there own call on KISS and I grew up at school copping shit because I was a KISS fan so to me its water off a ducks back and you know what I love the band and what they stand for and well you either like KISS or hate KISS. I'm just wrapped they had the balls to make a new album and I applaude them for that-I enjoy the album and have it playing in the car all day and have the DVD playing also in the car as KISS live well theres no better in my books. They could have sat back and played Detroit rock city and the usual songs but now they can add a few new ones and mix it up a little/Rock on KISS and I hope the strong rumors are true I'm hearing ^^^ I'm saving my money see you soon.
Peter

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW

Time to pull out KISSOLOGY and watch the "real" KISS..

I get a lot of inspiration from the black and white Winterland gig.  They were hungry, and it shows.