Author Topic: williams Klondike restoration  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: williams Klondike restoration
« on: December 07, 2008, 02:20:29 PM »
The first  two pics below show some of the dodgey bros wiring done to the game. Someone had modified the reels on the playfield so that both the left and right reels advanced together… I only worked this one out some ten years later with the aid of a manual! I found some switch contacts on the score motor that had been bent permanently closed.

Also I found a few sins in the back box as well… they had added a connector and a few wires to the match unit which connected to the reel relays (there were wires running from the relays on the pf up to the backbox) which made the playfield reels advance in a random sequence at the end of every ball, which I found out is NOT supposed to happen. I found no reference to this in the manual, and the wiring definitely didn’t look like factory issue. Removing this mod made the pf reels behave correctly. I also found out from the manual there should be a single chime unit on the game but this too was missing.

The 3rd and 4th pics show the pf reel plastic before and after. The only way I could do this was to scan the original plastic into my pc, draw in the missing art in photoshop and touch up the colours. After a few attempts at matching the colours (and a lot of swearing!) this is the end result. I printed a mirror copy of the art onto clear adhesive A4 size label (bought from Kmart) and stuck it onto a piece of clear lexan and cut it to shape. Then I sprayed white acrylic paint over the ink to diffuse the light. I think the original was moulded into the shape of the reels but it wasn’t possible to do this. Instead when drilling the mounting holes I drilled them in such a way that the plastic flexed upwards, clearing the reels. Not ideal I know… but it looks way better than the crappy old plastic it’s replacing!