Author Topic: williams Klondike restoration  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: williams Klondike restoration
« on: December 07, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
Next came the playfield reassembly. All of the posts were cleaned with automotive cutting compound and polished with Repo Paint Doctor polish before fitting them. The bumper and slingshot mechanisms were rebuilt with new coil sleeves and the bumper skirts cleaned before fitting. New rubbers were fitted as well as new plastic lane guides in the centre of the playfield on the up post lanes… yes I know they should be yellow and not white! I was unable to get yellow ones so I used white ones instead. The top arch parts were cleaned and/or painted as needed. The metal ball guide rails for the up post lanes were polished with Auto sol and reinstalled. All of the plastics were straightened by heating them carefully with a heat gun, then clamping them between two sheets of MDF board and letting them cool. They were then polished with Repo Paint Doctor and installed after new lamps were fitted.

The coin door and cabinets side rails were badly scratched, so these were carefully and painstakingly sanded several times, starting with 320 grit wet/dry sandpaper, then 400, and finally 800 grit before polishing with Auto sol. These items look much better now that they did before. Since the coin door was totally dismantled for sanding and polishing, every part off the inside was cleaned and/or polished before reinstalling. The coin reject button has been rechromed (it and the top pf glass strip were sent off with my Mibs parts when they were being done). When purchased, this game had the wrong legs on it (gottlieb legs) so, these were replaced. New chrome legs and leg levellers were bolted on using new chrome leg bolts.

The 2nd pic below  show the home made chime box that I made. After finding several pictures of various Williams machines in the Internet pinball database, which used a single chime unit as Klondike used, I decided it was worth the trouble to try building one similar. I had already located the cut off wires that went to the chime coil; all I had to do was to extend them to reach the new coil. I used a modified Gottlieb knocker assembly with a Williams coil I raided from my old Superstar playfield. The coil used is from one of the stepper units, which seems to do the job ok, if I can obtain the correct part number coil for the chime unit later on, I’ll use that instead. I had an old Gottlieb chime box amongst my spare parts so I used one of the chime bars from that. I have no idea if it’s playing the correct pitch, I used the middle chime bar from the Gottlieb chime box. At least the game now has some sound!!