Author Topic: williams Klondike restoration  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: williams Klondike restoration
« on: December 07, 2008, 03:00:17 PM »
Next on the agenda were the backglass touch ups. First I had to clean the backside as carefully as possible so as to not destroy anymore of the artwork, and to spray on several coats of Krylon Triple Thick to seal the artwork. Some of the artwork had been spray touched before with automotive acrylic paint where the ink had lifted, I decided to leave these areas as they were in unlit sections and in my opinion didn’t look too bad as they were, and I didn’t want to risk destroying the surrounding artwork. Chromacryl acrylic artists paints were used for the touch ups. Some of the worst affected areas were in translucent areas… these areas I either made them opaque by painting silver over the touch ups to block out the light, or by just removing the light bulbs from these areas to make them less noticeable.

The white area around the score reels windows was in a bad way, so I used the same trick I used on my Mibs machine. I traced the outline of the score windows onto the front of the glass with a sharpie pen and carefully removed all of the white with a razor blade. As there were black key lines around the edges of the reel openings, I had to recreate these on the back of the glass, again using a sharpie pen and a ruler.

Next I measured and cut a piece of white adhesive A4 size gloss label paper to fit the score reel area. I carefully lined up the adhesive label with the blank area on the glass and carefully stuck it on. I cut out the score reel windows after sticking the adhesive label on by shining a lamp through the glass from the front, and cut out the windows with a hobby knife inside the black key lines previously marked on the back of the glass. The 1st two pics below show the backglass before and after.

Last two pics show the end results after about 3 months of work.