Author Topic: Thoro Bred  (Read 1324 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Thoro Bred
« on: March 03, 2012, 05:16:20 PM »
Gday all
Here's my next project , a 1965 Gottlieb Thoro Bred , Production  run 1750.  This is currently my oldest game.
I did a trade for this back in 2010 with Tony Mather .
Fortunately Tony has already done the cabinet repaint and was able to source a playfield in very good condition and has done the under playfield swap .
I will repaint the insides of the cab (above the playfield) though to tone it down (probably just plain white) and touchup around the pop bumper areas on the PF.
The hard work for me on this one will be trying to touch up the backglass . After 46 years the majority of the red has flaked off , unfortunately.
The other big job will be trying to resurrect the coin door, which is in about the same shape as Gavin's Bank A Ball that he worked his magic on recently.
I believe this game was the last of the manual ball push-ups and also the 1st with the 'Shoot again' feature.
I had intended to get this game done ages ago but it kept getting bumped down the queue .
I am really looking forward to playing this one . For what its worth it is currently rated 50 out of the top 300 EM's.
I have already done a bit of work such as polishing all the brass inside the cab and laquering the playboard.
The game will be getting a full mechanical overhaul and the following new parts installed
New Flippers ( Full flipper kit, flippers , cabinet switches, cabinet flipper buttons)
New Pop Bumpers assemblies (including Rod/Ring, bodies, bases, skirts, springs and caps )
New Playfield rollover guides
New Rubber ring kit
New Lock coils
Here's some pics
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 05:18:04 PM by goodolddays »
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Thoro Bred
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
Playfield pics

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 05:29:23 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing this game completed i was enjoying this resto on AA good luck.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 05:37:37 PM »
Backglass doesn't look too bad from the front.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 06:38:29 PM »

Looking good - interesting title  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »
Have touched up the pop bumper rings and the 4 centre targets (paint worn off in the middle of each)

Here's before and after

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
Now this is a machine from the past.  I was a mere 1 when this game came out .... not sure if I have aged as well as this game!

I had a look at ipdb on this one, and noticed how the pop bumper caps on the Gottliebs from this era were very similiar (if not the same) as Bally was using in this decade (and the 1970's).  Wondering if Bally copied Gottlieb, or vice versa.

Looking forward to the updates.

mark jackson

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
I played 'Thorobred' as a kid. It's a terrific game, and chasing down the numbers on the wheel is lot's of fun. It's kind of like the multi-player version of 'Skyline' only it's better than just that. Chasing down extra balls was also part of the fun, if my memory serves me. It's a beauty.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 03:45:59 PM »
Just did what is probably the scariest thing I have done in this hobby .. flattened a set of 47 year old plastics in the oven .. doubt I would find a set if I buggered it up . Luckily they turned out really well . I forgot to take a before shot but they were pretty bad.
4 mins at 110 degrees in a fan forced oven .
This was my 1st attempt at flattening plastics too .  :D

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:49:07 PM by goodolddays »

Offline chuppa21

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:00:48 PM »
Looking good mate!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 06:40:52 PM »
Very nice I think I remember seeing this one when I visited Tony a few years back.   Looking good so far and it's scary enough flattening plastics from newer games ones from the sixty would be almost impossible to replace so well done  @@*

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:13 PM »
Great to see another classic being restored.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

mark jackson

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
Nice work on the plastics. Did you put them between 2 sheets of thick glass?? .. or some other method?? I need to flatten a set too and could do with a few hints.

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 09:23:52 PM »
Very nice looking machine.

Thanks for the pics. ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 10:18:19 PM »
Nice work on the plastics. Did you put them between 2 sheets of thick glass?? .. or some other method?? I need to flatten a set too and could do with a few hints.

Just put them on a flat oven tray... they will soften and go back to original on their own if you dont force cool them ( then they curl again)