Author Topic: Black Hole ROM versions  (Read 154 times)

Offline Quench

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Black Hole ROM versions
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:46:23 AM »
I just retrieved my Black Hole I had in storage for a few years and strangely the game 2716 EPROM had died. So I programmed a replacement with 688/4 code presuming it was a bug fix version (my original was 688/2 code).

Does anyone know what the difference between the game codes are?
I might be answering the question, but something that feels different is when you manage to open the side gate on the upper playfield, as soon as you hit some low score item the gate closes.
I seem to remember the gate would stay open until you either used it or lost the ball elsewhere but it's been so long I can't remember 100%.

Can anyone with a Black hole comment? My ROM programmer is currently out of action so I can't downgrade the code to check atm.

Secondly, my machine is missing the metal stand(s) that hold up the playfield for servicing. Could someone tell me how long they should be from the centre of the screw hole to the tip so I can make some up?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Black Hole ROM versions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »

My understanding is that the gate is intended to close when a low score target etc is hit - my rom are the /4 which I understood was the latest and least buggy version.

I can measure that up for you when I am home - but I might even have an original I can send you.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Quench

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Black Hole ROM versions
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 02:57:56 AM »
I just managed to try the 668/2 ROM code and the side gate behaves the same as the 668/4 code. Strange that I thought it did otherwise but anyway.
To correct my initial post, the Black Hole ROM code is 668 not 688.

Anyone got a measurement on the metal playfield stands?

Thanks.