Author Topic: PC Based Pinball Discussion  (Read 12047 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
PC Based Pinball Discussion
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:43:37 AM »
+1   definately makes sense Mike.  ^^^

Why did JJP think this was the way to go (and others). Is it a cheaper/quicker way to get to market ? with "worry about the longevity hassles later" style thinking. ?  !@#

Good to see someone finally say Strern arent stupid.lol   Gary has kept it simple which seems to have worked for a very long time...why are people changing to PC based systems ??  !@# !@#

You need to read it again mate..

I'm afraid anyone using PC's to make pinballs (on a commercial basis) are in for a very bad shock.....and that includes JJP if that is what they are using....I haven't actually seen where they clarify what exactly will control their machines.....

Gav, I totally understood.

JJP are using a PC from what i understand. Remember that 20 page review that showed the motherboard and the graphics card in the metal box etc.
So JJP are using a PC based system if I interpreted those photos and information from that review correctly. That may mean that they are not following suit with a Stern based style system but doing their own PC style operating system for WOZ etc.
Which means JJP's pinball MAY end up having hassles like Mike said if they use the PC system.

It was in Pinball News

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/wizardofoz/index34.html

Inside the metal box we find the PC board, the driver board, the amplifier board and a power supply.

The motherboard used here is a passively-cooled Intel mini-ITX one, with an Atom D2700 CPU. Because the game runs on Linux, it is not tied to this particular type or brand of motherboard or CPU, making it much more future-proof than Pinball 2000 was.  

The motherboard connects to a solid-state drive which contains the operating system, the game code and all the assets.

Is this a PC ? Is this prone to the probs Mike was suggesting ? Is Heighway Pinball going to use a similar PC setup ?
Isnt Stern staying away from this technology, and havent they been using the system Mike said was much better ?

Mike or Gavs opinion here would be good, or both.

Brett
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:47:08 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !