Author Topic: Iron Man - various pinball mods.  (Read 35749 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Ironman pinball mods.
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2012, 01:24:29 PM »
Hi Daz

here is the link for those parts in red........ $$(

http://www.backalleycreations.com/bac%20ironman%20pinball%20addons.html

But maybe you can get some parts from a stern supplier and take them to a local good powder coater, show them the add above with the 2 coats of powder coating and get it done there, then whack them on then keep the second set for coating another colour to suit your next machine. Save on shipping then ?????
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:27:57 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2012, 01:30:02 PM »
Cheers mate they look great, might be a bit pricey getting them to and from + the job itself....might be cheaper to find a local powdercoater and see if they can do the job?
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
Hey Daz

What do you reckon for the right side apron card - still tweaking a little

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2012, 05:47:36 PM »
Swinksy, thanks for putting up that great link to the candy apple metal work for the Ironman.  ^^^  It gave me some ideas for when AC/DC hits the driveway.

We have quite a few powder coaters in QLD, so Mr Cow Corner (Daz) and I are going to investigate and see if we can get some great pricing for the metal work on the Ironman. It sure does look like a million dollars. That candy apple red looks sensational.  ^^^
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:49:38 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »
It looks awesome and makes the machine look a million bucks.

The brass plated door and plunger helps it pop also.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2012, 06:23:17 PM »
is that what you did with your one Swinksy ? looks great. I reckon the door would look better in person than what the photos show. That candy apple looks terriffic.

I liked the yellow pincab protectors from the photos. That looks really good with the yellow behind the red legs.  ^^^

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »
Cavey, I was lucky enough to get this one all done up - though it did the pub circuit for a bit over a year but still in awesome nick.

Definitely do the candy paints with the silver base paint as it just gives it depth - very hot rod. The leg bolts and levellers are also brass plated which completes the package.

The door and plunger do look better in the flesh than on photos - helps that there is yellow in the cab art. Even the moulding in the backbox has the gold and black centre trim which is a nice touch.

Have to give credit to Specialwhenlit a fairly new member here as that is who I bought it from.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
Stunning Jady!!
I love the shooter and the candy apple red as well and will be looking to do this to mine soon.
I like the apron card mate but am a little unsure of all the other heroes in there as well...still looks very good though

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Ok I hearing you Daz, nothing like bit of choice, as not everyone wants the same one.

I am trying something a little different where I will make the files as individual 6" x 4" jpg images that you can go down to the photo shop and print a 6" x 4" inch photo, trim and then you have a colourful, thick paper and glossy image for about $0.15 each. I have tried to print other apron cards for other machines and had to muck around with sizing and then when I laminated the blacks went weird - maybe just me.

Let me know what you think, probably will work on a few other designs and once I get the print concept right people can PM with there email address and I will send the files they want or all of them.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2012, 10:17:40 PM »
Set 2 for me please mate...perfect!! ^^^

Offline roundball

• Forum Posts:
  • BNE - The only place to be.
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »
Played Cowmans Iron Man yesterday. What a brilliant machine, I'm a convert..  Loved it  ^^^

acepowdercoating.com.au on Randall St, Slacks Creek.  They do good work; or work that I've had done I've been very happy with.  
Last time it was a minimum $60.00 job, but they generally tag it in with a larger job so old mate with the big job ends up paying the brunt of the job cost, your smaller job is just an add on for a token cost.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 11:23:02 PM »
Played Cowmans Iron Man yesterday. What a brilliant machine, I'm a convert..  Loved it  ^^^

acepowdercoating.com.au on Randall St, Slacks Creek.  They do good work; or work that I've had done I've been very happy with.  
Last time it was a minimum $60.00 job, but they generally tag it in with a larger job so old mate with the big job ends up paying the brunt of the job cost, your smaller job is just an add on for a token cost.

It was great to catch up mate as always and I'm glad you enjoyed the pin.
Thanks for the tip on the powdercoating, I will be sure to chase it up.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 04:26:13 AM »
I got the shaker motor and underside pf service rails into the Ironman the other day with some help from beaky(  I prob could have done it myslef...yep thats how easy it is..... but then I wouldn't have got to catch up with the best tech in the biz!...thanks again mate! ^^^)
It sure rocks the house at max thats for sure...litterally quakes our little place, an excellent addition to the game! I can't imagine playing it without one now.
This one thumbs up for stern..all pro models from sm on are shaker ready...sweeet!
Thumbs down is no underside service rails on new sterns.....boooooooo!
No Probs mate.
It definitely makes a difference with service rails installed, It is just ridiculous that these are an optional extra.

I found the wiring for the flasher a little silly though, the instructions tell you to put the blue connector on the orange wire (which is the + wire) and the red connector on the switched - wire But then it tells you to connect the red wire on the flasher to the blue connector and the black wire to the red connector  !@#.

The instructions for the rails tell you to drill some holes in the bottom of the playfield for the screws, yeah  right, the screws are self tappers anyway so there is no need for a drill.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
Daz, or anyone else who knows, what was the cost of the added slide rails for the underplayfield ? ... and do u have a link to the product with a picture.  !@#

Question - do the rails really make a big difference and are they really needed as an option. The new Stern games are so easy to work on, that a 10 yr old could do it and with ease cause there is alot less under the playfield than 1990's dmd machines. I understand the pegs sit on the end of the pinny near the lockdown bar etc, and that the playfield can sit up and lean right back against the translite etc. Are the rails really needed whilst the playfield is in the machine, or just to use when the playfield is say out of the machine. Anyones advice here would be great.

Also, if u put LEDs into a new Stern pinny, do the Leds flicker with ghosting etc, or has Stern designed its game roms for Leds in mind ? anyone who has a new Stern know the answer to the few questions ?.... thanks in advance !  ^^^

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:36 PM »
Brett, the cost was around $16usd I think for the rails and shipping was a bulk order with the shaker etc.
As far as if you need them or not, you can get away without them but I prefer them in.....also check beakys post above,maybe ask him how much easier he thought the game was to operate on with the rails installed. They should be standard issue imo.
As far as led ghosting goes...I have no idea.