Author Topic: Bally BULLFIGHT Repaint  (Read 1753 times)

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Bally BULLFIGHT Repaint
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:24:26 PM »
Finally finished my bally 1964 bullfight which will be going to Vic to my cousin as a 60th birthday surprise.
All paint was applied by a paint roller and acrylic paints used.

First step was to scan sections (A4 size) of the artwork - I used a flatbed scanner with the lid removed.

Images were scanned through Photoshop and files saved as psd files and then edited in photoshop ready for exporting to the vinyl cutter.

Only difference to my previous repaints was that I used a vinyl cutter (Silhouette Cameo cutting machine) with PVC contact paper as the material. What a difference that made - Perfect shapes, no paint bleed or glue residue when the paper was removed.

Old paint removed and dings filled.2 coats of primer / sealer undercoat ( I used Taubmans 3 in 1 ) with a paint roller then lightly sand. Next applied the white - 2 coats with paint roller ( I used Aqua Enamel - Dulux Antique White USA ).

Artwork was outlined for the stencils with a lead pencil.

Stencils then applied ready for the first colour (Light Blue)

Applied sealer/undercoat to the edges of the stencil - This  reduced the chance of any paint bleed.

Light Blue was applied by the paint roller. Left for 48 hrs to completely dry then Red applied.

COMPLETED

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:29:07 PM by millsy »
pinballaustralia.com

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Bally BULLFIGHT Repaint
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »
Very nice.
I can be your new cousin if you would like one  #@#

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »

Magic, beautiful work!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:21:28 PM »
Wow that's beautiful! I'm sure your cousin will love it.

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 07:30:11 PM »
Great work, has come up a treat

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 09:45:42 AM »
 ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 10:18:32 AM »
Really impressive work with the scanning and stencils. I love seeing repaints and the older Bally's are so much more fun to play than Gottliebs of the same era.

Stupid question time - Curious to know why you chose the roller method ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 08:42:07 PM »
Really impressive work with the scanning and stencils. I love seeing repaints and the older Bally's are so much more fun to play than Gottliebs of the same era.

Unfortunately only have the paint roller option over spray paint. The reason is I live in a 1 garage unit in a block of 8 - Have had no problem with my neighbours over the years regarding the noise generated by the pinball and (the Bingo - You know the racket they make) so decided not to test them with an air compressor and then there are the fumes. I do paint can my coin doors,legs and aprons.  My budget is also a factor - the price of paint. As I am a Bunnings employee, my discount helps a lot. I have only had to use one 4l sealer/undercoat and 6 colours over my Bazaar,Sweethearts,Jumping Jack,MissO and Bullfight repaints.
Also have experimented over time using different techniques and happy with my final method. Hope this helps anyone that is restricted in there resto painting.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:35 PM »

Unfortunately only have the paint roller option over spray paint. The reason is I live in a 1 garage unit in a block of 8 - Have had no problem with my neighbours over the years regarding the noise generated by the pinball and (the Bingo - You know the racket they make) so decided not to test them with an air compressor and then there are the fumes. I do paint can my coin doors,legs and aprons.  My budget is also a factor - the price of paint. As I am a Bunnings employee, my discount helps a lot. I have only had to use one 4l sealer/undercoat and 6 colours over my Bazaar,Sweethearts,Jumping Jack,MissO and Bullfight repaints.
Also have experimented over time using different techniques and happy with my final method. Hope this helps anyone that is restricted in there resto painting.

What sort of roller do you use?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 09:27:06 PM »

Bunnings cheap FOAM roller
pinballaustralia.com

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 07:59:29 AM »

Bunnings cheap FOAM roller

Lol! Just finished painting all the doors at home using exactly those! I asked because I was wondering if the6 would work for cabinet repainting as the finish is so good!