Author Topic: 40 playfield lamp inserts removed  (Read 332 times)

Offline billstats

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
40 playfield lamp inserts removed
« on: July 29, 2009, 11:35:49 PM »
 ^&^I got around to removing all the lamp inserts,I try & do a little before & after work.The gottlieb 4 square 71'.has 40 inserts,I removed them by heating them from underneath with a hairdryer,I find if u leave the hairdryer directly underneath, for a minute or two ,is the best,then with the playfield resting against the lightbox, I just gently tap at them with an old socket they pop out after 4 -6 taps. #*#I have tried to load up some photos ,(stage by stage) but nothing happening... @@*will keep trying to load photos....bill
bill /sydney /pinballs

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Re: 40 playfield lamp inserts removed
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 11:46:16 PM »
Plucking up courage to do inserts as I am worried about breaking them as I thought they may be brittle over time. Did any get damaged ?
Looking forward to see & read  the process of doing these. Keep the updates coming.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:50:45 AM »
Thanks a lot for posting this Bill .. I am about to remove/reseat all the inserts on my '68 WMS Lady Luck .. which will be my 1st attempt so I'm also interested in your experience with this job

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline billstats

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
Plucking up courage to do inserts as I am worried about breaking them as I thought they may be brittle over time. Did any get damaged ?
Looking forward to see & read  the process of doing these. Keep the updates coming.
^&^Just go for it millsy.This machine was unusual,I have machines where a few inserts had sunken back over time, but this one had them all,I completed the job yesterday,just hold the hair dryer directly underneath the insert for a couple of minutes & gently tap,if some are a bit stubborn,just re-heat again & tap gently.Once all the inserts are out then get your glue ,but dont overdo it,just around the wood.(I put to much on the first insert & the glue pushed up onto the playfield).After that i just put enough glue. Good luck with it,...bill !!!
bill /sydney /pinballs

Offline billstats

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:12:53 PM »
Thanks a lot for posting this Bill .. I am about to remove/reseat all the inserts on my '68 WMS Lady Luck .. which will be my 1st attempt so I'm also interested in your experience with this job #*#gday dave, I removed all the iserts first of all.A couple chipped from the bottom ,but they didnt crack in half,so once they were all out, I proceeded with a little glue on each ,I started gluing 3 at a time,then i slotted the insert back in place, then gently tapped them level,that was basically it.I have photos that i have been trying to load for you guys but nothing happens.I have the old crappy dial-up. It was my first attempt....good luck with your williams lady luck! $#$

Cheers
Dave
bill /sydney /pinballs