Author Topic: Flash Gordon blown fuse  (Read 151 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Flash Gordon blown fuse
« on: March 02, 2014, 05:00:26 PM »
Hi guys,

The 20amp fuse on Flash Gordon's  Rectifier board blew the other day. The board has obviously been around the block a couple of times but it had recently been rebuilt including this fuse holder. The holder is stuffed but I can't work out what happened to make it blow like this. I've been all over the underside of the playfield and through out the back box looking for loose wires touching something or something which may have caused a short. Is there anything else I should be checking for? The playfield solenoid protection fuse on the underside of the playfield was also blown but the holder is fine.
 The only thing I've done on it recently was fiddle around with the switch spoon position on one of the pop bumpers trying to get rid of a dead spot but I've played it since then so it's unlikely that I did it then.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Flash Gordon blown fuse
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »
Adam this may not be the problem but my space invaders kept blowing the same fuse. It was a bulb socket. I removed all the globes and then tested. First I put back half the insert ones and nothing blew. In the end it was a gi one. Don't know if it was an actual holder or a globe. I just left the holders I thought were dodgey empty until I did my pf swap. Never had a problem prior or after the swap.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »
20A fuse is for the lamp circuits. Look at the schematic to see exactly what is connected to this fuse and eliminate them one by one.

That board is perfectly repairable with a wire link.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I guess the first thing to do is repair the board and then start testing the associated lamp circuits.

Offline riverinapinball

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »
Do you a have leds in it. One of the leds may have failed and shorted, causing the fuse to blow. Just a thought...

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »
No, LED's Dan. It's been perfect until now.
 Oh well that's pinball machines for you though isn't it, always something to fix.