Author Topic: Daisy May - Start Up issue  (Read 1985 times)

Offline kidamigo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ourimbah NSW
Daisy May - Start Up issue
« on: September 01, 2022, 02:19:03 PM »
Hi Everyone,
        Start up on Daisy May works fine for 9 out of 10 times …. but every now and then the score motor will keep on running. … As it always drops the balls, the motor turns off when any 10,000 point switch is hit.
I don’t know what is causing the motor to run on. If there’s someone who understands woodrails, and could suggest what the problem is, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks, Mark

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Daisy May - Start Up issue
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 04:31:32 PM »
Sounds like you have a switch not adjusted quite right easy fix but finding the exact switch not so much do you have the schematic for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kidamigo

• Forum Posts:
  • Ourimbah NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 09:51:54 PM »
Yes I do…..I also have the pin repair start-up sequence for woodrails. ….

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 10:18:42 PM »
Find the score motor on the schematics and see which switches turn it on and check each one,   Fingers crossed you can see a switch that has to do with thing you mentioned that fires it back up

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 10:40:14 PM »
Maybe post a photo of the score motor section and I’ll have a look for anything in the area?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 06:24:02 PM »
Yup - Find the score motor in the schematic and identify the switches that close the circuit (keep the score motor running). Place a card to open each switch, one by one until the motor stops. Then concentrate on that part of the circuit. Intermittent issues will most likely be a dirty contact or slightly mis adjusted contact.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline kidamigo

• Forum Posts:
  • Ourimbah NSW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 09:47:56 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. … I think I’ve found the culprit. … I realized that although I’d cleaned all the contacts on the N relay (10,000 pt), I hadn’t cleaned the plate and coil itself. I usually clean relays automatically, but this was the old R relay, which is screwed onto the back of the head.
Bam… I straight away noticed the 10,000 pt lights on the backglass as the machine reset. They moved quick and rhythmically, solid and even. …. I played 10 one ball games in a row, and the machine re-set fine every time.
    So, … maybe I got it. What do you guys think? I think maybe I have. …. If the plate is dirty, then won’t the signal be weak and sluggish? As the 10,000 pt stepper is so critical to start up on woodrails, then wouldn’t a sluggish/weal relay be enough to cause the motor to run on at start up?. …. ???

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2022, 07:48:46 PM »
Sounds like you’ve found the relay but I’d be double checking the gap and making sure each set of contacts open and close nicely,   Cleaning the plate will help it hold nicely closed but wouldn’t do much to the contact gap

Offline kidamigo

• Forum Posts:
  • Ourimbah NSW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2022, 08:43:49 AM »
….It didn’t work. …So, after re-reading the woodrail start-up sequence, I focused on motor switch 1A. …There we’re two sets of contacts here. After manually turning the motor and watching them, I noticed that the inside switch had a wider gap when open, and it actually looked like it was a bit too wide. It was definitely closing after the outside switch. …It was closing though, but only for the slightest time.
   So, I move the small blade just about /16” closer. The two switches now open and close at the same time. The switch in question now makes contact for a slightly longer time.
   I played 10 X one ball games and the score motor didn’t run on even once. So, once again I might have located the issue. … I’ll update this when I play some more games on it.
   Today I’m repairing the birdhouse.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2022, 07:00:19 PM »
Nice fingers crossed that was it

Offline kidamigo

• Forum Posts:
  • Ourimbah NSW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2022, 09:22:15 AM »
To update …. Since I last adjusted motor switch 1A. …. It started up fine for three days, but then did the motor run on thing, twice in 5 games. ….mmmm
For the last month it has done nothing but start up correctly.
So, I don’t know why it had a spasm after 3 days. …. All I can say is it now starts up correctly, game after game.
… It must have just got itself out of sinc for some reason. … I believe it’s fine now. Thanks for the help and tips about this.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2022, 08:48:45 PM »
Check that the switch contacts are tight onto the switch blades.       

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2022, 08:52:35 PM »
I’ve seen it a few times.   Try spin the contact with a pin or something pointy if it spins either try press the contact with pliers or solder the contact from the back

Offline kidamigo

• Forum Posts:
  • Ourimbah NSW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 09:41:49 PM »
Thanks Daniel. … great suggestion to explain the possible cause. …. I’ll check them. I’m thinking that because I adjusted the contacts to make a longer, firmer contact, then maybe they wipe themselves properly now, and have settled down. … I’ll update when I know more….

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 08:00:39 PM »
Yeah intermittent faults are the worst