Author Topic: Multimeter suggestions?  (Read 417 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Multimeter suggestions?
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:14:38 PM »
Hi guys,

As per my Sys80 thread, I'm in the market for a new DMM.

From reading a Fluke 179 would be my first choice, however at the $340 to $360+ price range, this is getting a bit high.

I may have just had bad luck with my cheap Jaycar $20.00 one too.

I would be interested to see what else people use and rough price range....

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Multimeter suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 08:55:20 PM »
Mine is a $100 Jaycar one i dont think ive ever had any trouble with it might have to test the system 80 driver board though lol

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 11:02:35 PM »
I used to use a $10 DSE cheapie and never had a problem with it but the leads eventually broke after about 5 years. When I was looking around for replacement leads I decided it was just as worthwhile to get a new multimeter. I am now using a CABAC multimeter which includes a cable tester which is worth around $40. I expect it to last me say 10 years. The DSE cheapie still works, by the way.

Yes, Fluke are up there with the best but frankly unless you are a professional you will never use half the features. I would take the $20 meter back to Jaycar and get a replacement if it's under warranty.

With a pinball machine you need to be able to check continuity (the number one problem to date with my machines has been loose wires which have been fixed with soldering), resistance, voltage and maybe you might want a transistor tester on the meter. But you can get all that on a $20 meter which will last you 5 - 10 years or more.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:24:05 AM »
I find it easier to have 2 meters - a DMM - doesnt really matter which one, but the REALLY cheap ones are just a bit too flakey for me - $40 will get you one that will work time and time again - great for testing voltages etc.

Also an analogue meter - much easier for testing continuity as you can see the sweep of the needle from the corner of your eye rather than try to read numbers. I also use this to test transistors in cct - theres no 100% way of testing these in cct - but an analogue will get you 80% reliability. I figure that if you have to pull the transistor out of cct and slot it into the transistor tester on your DMM then you may as well replace anyway.

I also found that you can never have too many of either of these - i seem to have a collection!

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »
Got one of those fluke meters,never had a problem,plastic case so you can drop it multi times,lots of leads, only thing is the expense.

Borrow mine from my uncle three years ago and bugger me i haven't returned it yet.

I did buy a ESR meter from blackwood (i think) for testing of the transistors which i find very help full.

Cheap or expensive they all do the same job,just may not last as long.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 02:44:29 PM »
My old man is a Sparky, he gave me a Fluke meter, fantastic, well built, never had a problem with it.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »
I finished up buying a Fluke 115 DMM.

I must say, it is very very nice.  Hopefully will last me a long time, which if it does was a good investment.

After much research, I actually bought it from DSE.  They have about 20 in stock in Vic and can do it for about $260 if you ask nicely.

I know they are cheaper on Ebay, but I suspect some purchased from overseas may be knockoffs and many of them state only 1 yr warranty when the Flukes come with 3?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 09:27:08 PM »
Well thats a great price for a fluke specially from Dick Smiths tv sales

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 10:01:42 PM »
The Flukes aren't too bad, but you're paying for the name and i think all the Flukes
are made in China now.

Marty Machine

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 10:21:12 PM »
Dick Smith is selling fluke meters, coz they don't know what they are....  :lol :lol :lol

The staff seem to know a 'bit' about plasmas TV's and phones but nothing about electronics...

You can't go wrong with the Fluke Marty, it'll last you ages, they just go and go and go........
I have a few 20+ year flukes at home & work, still going strong, only problem i ever have is dodgy leads or flat battery and replace accordingly....

Oh yeh, sometimes you need to buy 2-3 MM's just to get ALL the features...not many meters have 'everything' onboard.
Even if you buy a capacitor meter and any other meter/checker they're quite cheap these days, and will last ages as you wouldnt use them everyday anyway.

MM.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:23:06 PM by Marty Machine »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 10:25:09 PM »
I do like it!   %.%

The 115 I think is perfect for me, everything I need.

Marty Machine

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 10:33:23 PM »
it just can't track down system80 board faults  :lol :lol :lol