Author Topic: Baywatch - Suddenly went dead  (Read 4651 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Baywatch - Suddenly went dead
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2013, 07:49:13 PM »
Congrats Jady, nothing quite like nailing a problem, although a bit frustrating when you reverse a plug liek that - i've done similar things plenty of times.  Best bit of all of it is that you understand the machine, boards and schematics a whole heap better after an epic like this one!!

Offline Blktgr74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
Well done glad you got it sorted. Hope I can post that I have got mine going later in the week. Oh, and thank you for such an in depth post as it is and will be invaluable to myself and others.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2013, 09:14:12 PM »
I should also add that I swapped the black's and black with red strip on the plug detailed a few posts ago and no issue and also that I did power up a few times with the 5 volts and earth reversed and it appears no damage to the display or display board

no worries Blktgr74, I know there is alot of info and a journey in the learning but hopefully helps others, so threads when you do a net search that just stop and you never see the end results of what the problem was
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2013, 02:27:02 AM »
after looking over the up grade cable the only thing i used was the wire.
the whole idea of the upgrade cable is to reduce voltage drop so why do they use a longer cable and use the same type of connector as the so called faulty original?  !@#
The resistance of the single factory cable is 0.1 ohm,
The resistance of the "upgrade cable" is 0.1 ohm.

the problem is the connection between the header pin and the pin in the housing so you can run a 10mm square cable between these points and it still wont fix the problem.
my solution is:
1: Replace (or clean) the Header pins at CN5

2: Cut the black and red wires and use the trufcon crimp pins at each end. 4 at the power supply end and 2 at the display driver board end

3: fit 2 trufcon crimp pins at the power supply end for the display ( most displays used on this machine  only use the +12V from the dedicated bridge but do this any way in case you have a display that needs the +5V

4: fit the keys into the housings

5:shave all the hair off the hairy Knuckles shown in the pictures  :lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:28:34 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Baywatch - Now Works
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
Thanks Beaky

I got the board 2 days ago and had a chance to install today and test - PERFECT - so a big thankyou as the screen works and the volts are up to 5.22volts at the test point of the board and on the white block resistor the the volts on one side was 5.22 and other side 5.40. Also that dmd plug is so much more positive fit - nice and firm.

So very happy, thank you very much Beaky.   ^^^

for pinball t-shirts

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2013, 12:28:38 AM »
Thanks Beaky

I got the board 2 days ago and had a chance to install today and test - PERFECT - so a big thankyou as the screen works and the volts are up to 5.22volts at the test point of the board and on the white block resistor the the volts on one side was 5.22 and other side 5.40. Also that dmd plug is so much more positive fit - nice and firm.

your welcome
other than replacing a few connectors the only other part i changed was the regulator I.C which brought the voltage up to 5.22 volts on the 5 volt rail at the power supply.

was the dmd display connector fitted to the upgrade cable that you sent me already fitted to the cable when you bought it or did you fit it before you sent it to me?
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2013, 07:08:50 AM »
Thanks Beaky

your welcome
other than replacing a few connectors the only other part i changed was the regulator I.C which brought the voltage up to 5.22 volts on the 5 volt rail at the power supply.

was the dmd display connector fitted to the upgrade cable that you sent me already fitted to the cable when you bought it or did you fit it before you sent it to me?

The connector was already fitted, therefore because not pressed in properly no volts to the display

for pinball t-shirts

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
no problem
you bought a lead to fix a problem yet they sold you a lead with a problem.  :lol (see photos)
thought i would ask before i posted these pics,