Author Topic: Hacks  (Read 5302 times)

Offline ralph67

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
Hacks
« on: October 11, 2014, 03:14:32 AM »
 Greatest Hacks Page. Okay guys next time you see a Hack photograph it and post.  The 2 here are from a "Catacomb  That i am restoring for elgor-alish.  Transformer and power supply wires just twitched and then insulation tape applied!  ^&( Best Pics gets a prize ..
One-Ball!

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
Re: Hacks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:09:51 AM »
Machine sold by a guy selling container trash in Melbourne.  This was after having supposedly spent over $900 in repairs on the machine.  

The other flipper was the same.  Have a close look at the connector in the 2nd pic....yes it is a nail shoved into the connector to hold the wire in place.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:11:53 AM by Pintoxicated »
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Hacks
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:49:09 AM »
^^ Hey Blair have you doctored those pic's? Lol Lol you know I'm joking still can't believe someone would sell a game in such a dangerous condition.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:28:48 AM »
Hacks are funny, it's amusing to see the things people do to fix things "bush mechanic style"

I haven't got any photos but one I had was on a Gottlieb where the game over relay was out of adjustment and wasn't supplying power to half of the coils, to fix this they ran a wire from one bank of coils to the other.
Only problem with that was all the coils were then running off one fuse - easy fix put a bigger fuse in. :)

Once I worked out what was gong on it was a five minute fix adjusting the relay.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »
^^ Hey Blair have you doctored those pic's? Lol Lol you know I'm joking still can't believe someone would sell a game in such a dangerous condition.

"Dangerous condition" - Where do I start ?

I'll sift through my collection of hacks. What becomes apparent is that the overseas operators used hacks to keep the games operating and dealers use hacks to hide problems that they don't want to fix or pay to be fixed.

Here is an example below - This is from a "mint" and "restored" DE Star Trek that I recently had to repair. There's even a sales invoice that claims the game is in "perfect" working order. The GI connector on the Power Supply was completely burnt out and instead of replacing the connector and repinning the wiring, the dealer chose to utilize the in house butcher to cut the wires and reconnect them directly to the GI wires from the transformer. Effectively, this bypasses the fuses and the GI Relay. So if a GI lamp socket shorted, it cannot blow the fuse (as it is bypassed), it will then cause problems on the secondary side of the transformer. If that broke down, then the mains fuse should blow ? No - It was a 20 Amp fuse instead of a 4 Amp Slo Blo.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:47:15 AM »
I often wonder how these guys brains are wired? No concern for anyone or anything.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Hacks
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:49:46 AM »
Geez Nino you must come across some real dodgy games people have bought from importers-if I buy a game with a receipt I assume I have the same protection as I would like buying a car with a roadworthy am I right? But if I buy off eBay or the bloke down the road with no receipt I'm on my own? Surly people selling through a company name have a duty of care and are ultimately responsible if someone hurts themselves! Do I live in a dream world?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
The nail to hold in a connectors a beauty but hacking the gi straight to the ac input is genius who comes up with these simple repair ideas?

The  Best bush hack I'd ever seen was a coach bolt welded to a steel plate to replace a flipper actually made the FJ pinball more fun to play

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »

Aahh yes.  Well it was suggested that I may have doctored those pics by an AA mod.  Posting those pics on AA in an attempt to alert would be buyers about this shonky seller ended up in me getting banned from AA.  Why?  Because the seller was a sponsor of AA at the time and could do no wrong.
Addicted to pins.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »
Hmmm I suspect I have been shafted by the same dishonest seller who sold me a machine different to the one he sent pictures of then told me it was a risk I took!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
Geez Nino you must come across some real dodgy games people have bought from importers-if I buy a game with a receipt I assume I have the same protection as I would like buying a car with a roadworthy am I right? But if I buy off eBay or the bloke down the road with no receipt I'm on my own? Surly people selling through a company name have a duty of care and are ultimately responsible if someone hurts themselves! Do I live in a dream world?

I do 2 days worth of repairs a week. These are games imported and bought locally. Twenty years ago, you can understand the hacks keep the games on location - so you can forgive these - and some have been ingenious. In the last 5 years, I've seen some "lethal" problems - literally. Almost every game that I've seen has been a deliberate attempt to "not repair" the game, or a badly butchered repair because the sellers simply don't have the technical expertise, or the employees are not technically proficient. I do remember visiting a "state of the art" workshop, and the soldering irons were the same ones used to solder battery terminals. Really "back yard" attitude to repairs.

I don't do onsite work unless I know the full history of the machine - ie - I sold it, or I've worked on it. But on occasions, I really feel "sorry" for buyers and I try to help out. The BIGGEST problems are that an owner presents the game with one minor issue, and when I view the game, it has several issues and I feel compelled to help them - even though I'm the LAST in a long line of attempted repairs - and every single "tech" has ripped them off. Our industry will never be regulated, so reputations are important. Some simply don't care - after they sell the game - they won't help.

I will find more pictures - and some of them will be very interesting - and I'm not referring to rubber bands being used in the place of rubbers..  @@^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 12:52:40 AM »
A few I've recently fixed...

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 06:12:08 AM »
OMG.
A parralel universe in series trouble.
These guys must have shown potential as youngsters with Lego blocks.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 11:27:46 AM »
Ha ha- Ive recently done that very same thing to a battery holder!!

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 12:35:37 PM »
A few I've recently fixed...
Omg That is beautiful! Never ceases to amaze me what people come up with. John looks like your in first place for a prize so far
One-Ball!