Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: Hacks
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »
A few I've recently fixed...

Why dont all components come attached with those crimp connectors, would making swapping parts out easy  *)*

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
I think i have some pictures somewhere of some of the hack repairs i've come across in the past few years.. will post some if i find them.

I saw a pretty inventive one on a KISS that i repaired recently.. the connectors on the power supply, rather than the usual hard wire method for the burnt connectors that we've all seen, someone had wired in an EM style jones plug and socket for the 20 pin connector!! I was nearly gonna snap a pic of this but didn't get around to it. I didn't touch this connector as the game was in a customers home and i was called in to repair a sound board issue.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 12:50:20 AM »
Another 2 from the same "Catacomb" , This time its the Sol/Driver Board. This board is being replaced with Altek                                                       I reckon its the same "Hacker as the shots on the transformer/ Power supply                                                                                               Why buy the correct Caps when you can make you own to suit!                                                                                                                                               I recently repaired a Amazing Spiderman System 80 out of africa . Has some very nice Hacks. no photos yet but i need to go back and replace the power supply on it, So i will take a few shots . 
One-Ball!

Offline flippnaussie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 01:08:04 AM »
I love the Caps.
I had to do similar to an old Onkyo 508 amp. the 100,000uF caps are under rated and die. They are no longer available. So I got the next nearest in a different size but higher Voltage rating, added two extra caps to bring the values up, some heat shrink and copper bar. Now I need to find the other short on the boards to get it working. It's only been two years.....

Simon.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2014, 01:47:04 AM »
I love the Caps.
I had to do similar to an old Onkyo 508 amp. the 100,000uF caps are under rated and die. They are no longer available. So I got the next nearest in a different size but higher Voltage rating, added two extra caps to bring the values up, some heat shrink and copper bar. Now I need to find the other short on the boards to get it working. It's only been two years.....

Simon.
Nice , I think what you are doing is perfectly acceptable . No doubt you would make a neat job of it, that is a large value! .I was asked if i could fix the Sol/dri Board and declined Haha. Getting a new one for the "Catacomb"   Driver board will  prob go into the Board box for future repairs or parts
One-Ball!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 08:47:23 AM »
Another 2 from the same "Catacomb" , This time its the Sol/Driver Board. This board is being replaced with Altek                                                       I reckon its the same "Hacker as the shots on the transformer/ Power supply                                                                                               Why buy the correct Caps when you can make you own to suit!                                                                                                                                               I recently repaired a Amazing Spiderman System 80 out of africa . Has some very nice Hacks. no photos yet but i need to go back and replace the power supply on it, So i will take a few shots .  

JEEEZUS.. i guess SOME thought went into the caps that went onto that SD board.. well at least the values used add up to the original 11'000uF  :D :D

I see that kind of thing a LOT on old audio gear/old guitar amps etc.. and on a few occasions have been forced to do it myself when someone needed their amp in a hurry, much as i hate doing it!!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:48:56 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 09:05:36 AM »
I'll add the "No-Blow" fuse to the list.

I've seen nails, foil and copper wire before but never a roofing screw.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 09:40:07 AM »
I'll add the "No-Blow" fuse to the list.

I've seen nails, foil and copper wire before but never a roofing screw.

Oooh, that's a good one.  Looks like a piece of wire soldered onto the fuse below it as well??
Addicted to pins.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 10:10:51 AM »

Oooh, that's a good one.  Looks like a piece of wire soldered onto the fuse below it as well??

Actually every fuse with the exception of the 2 above the roofing screw had wire soldered onto them.  This particular machine was recently purchased like this from an old operator.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 09:07:21 PM »
How about this for a slow blow fuse  %.% found this in a Quick Draw i did work on not long ago!!

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 09:47:47 PM »
How about this for a slow blow fuse 
What a classic! Even better that they left the washer and nut on. Wonder if they read 10 gauge instead of 10 amp!  @.@

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »
Here's another pic i just remembered i had that i thought was a pearler of a hack at the time.. this time from a Gtb Genie.. do you think the 1 amp diodes used might be just a tad underrated  :D :D

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »
Machine sold by a guy selling container trash in Melbourne.  This was after having supposedly spent over $900 in repairs on the machine.  

The other flipper was the same.  Have a close look at the connector in the 2nd pic....yes it is a nail shoved into the connector to hold the wire in place.

Ahh the memories, those pics certainly bring back a few.  %.%  The apparent investment in tech repairs to this machine was $921 to be exact  !!@ Funny how he was never able to name the tech or come up with a receipt though.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
Hacks
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »
The no blow fuse idea is insane!

I always remember a story a friend told me years ago about a ATM tech who after going back to same Bank Atm time after time to replace a blow fuse. Thought he would Put in a higher rates fuse. 2 days later the bank burnt down!

The
Moral to the story is simple. Use the correct fuse size.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 01:19:01 AM »
A couple of a Bally/ Stern Sol Driver board, These show some shoddy soldering and use of House wiring i think as jumper tracks %.%
One-Ball!