Author Topic: Converting 1982 Gottlieb Transformer to 240v from 110  (Read 4689 times)

Offline pinballnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • New Zealand
    • Pinball NZ
Converting 1982 Gottlieb Transformer to 240v from 110
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:22:06 PM »
Hi Guys

I want to change my imported Gottlieb to 240v. The writing on the transformer is not clear. I am presuming it can be done liek the bally's etc.

Please advise on what i have to solder where. A pic would be good for me.

Thanks in advance
Clive

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
It MIGHT not be possible - depends if the game was supplied with a domestic/ export transformer or straight domestic  - can you post a pic please and then can advise

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
You can't on the older system 1/80 transformers if it's a standard US 110volt unit.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
You can't on the older system 1/80 transformers if it's a standard US 110volt unit.

That's not correct Nick... You can change the transformer wiring on both the System 1 and 80's to either 110V or 230V (and a few other voltages). The transformers are designed for it.

What's the name of the game Clive? I have most of the manuals here so I should be able to give you instructions on what wiring needs to be changed...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
That's not correct Nick... You can change the transformer wiring on both the System 1 and 80's to either 110V or 230V (and a few other voltages). The transformers are designed for it.

That's interesting, I was always under the impression you couldn't - be great if you can post a description Owen of the way to do it for System 1 and System 80 games.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

I assumed you needed a step down for the System 1s ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinballnz

• Forum Posts:
  • New Zealand
    • Pinball NZ
It's Devil's Dare.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Most people think that you do need a step down transformer for the System 1's and 80's, but in the manual for these machines, it clearly shows the wiring change for 230V operation.

If you look at the image below, you will see the 110V transformer wiring, and then in a dotted box to the left you will see the change needed for 230V operation. This is the same for both System 1 and System 80 pinballs.

So basically, the two transformers are in parallel when in 110V mode, and in series for 230V mode.

For 230V operation: Active goes to the 115V input of the first transformer, link the Common of the first transformer to the 115V input of the second transformer, and the Neutral is connected to the Common of the second transformer.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Only ever having to deal with 110v System 1, I thought it was the case with system 80 - great to know for future reference. But for system 1 (which would have saved me some $) - the manuals for system 1 don't show the jumpering - how would that be done Owen, exactly the same?

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Only ever having to deal with 110v System 1, I thought it was the case with system 80 - great to know for future reference. But for system 1 (which would have saved me some $) - the manuals for system 1 don't show the jumpering - how would that be done Owen, exactly the same?

Yep, exactly the same - that's why I only showed the SYS80 manual as it was the clearest one I had here.

And yes mate, they do show the wiring - it's in the dotted box to the left of the standard 110V wiring... the one marked 230V.

Offline pinballnz

• Forum Posts:
  • New Zealand
    • Pinball NZ
Owen
great stuff with the diagram. Thanks.

HOWEVER everyone has to be sure they have one of the transformers listed in that diagram as I suspect my Devil's Dare is a domestic US model not an export model and does not have one of the required transformers.

Thanks again.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Owen
great stuff with the diagram. Thanks.

HOWEVER everyone has to be sure they have one of the transformers listed in that diagram as I suspect my Devil's Dare is a domestic US model not an export model and does not have one of the required transformers.

Thanks again.

No probs Clive.

Although your last statement is not correct... The transformers are not actually different, the part numbers ONLY relate to how they have been wired.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
And yes mate, they do show the wiring - it's in the dotted box to the left of the standard 110V wiring... the one marked 230V.

Ah, yeah, not my meaning, should've been clearer. They show the wiring but without specifying that they can be re-wired as is shown in the system 80 one you posted. I recall querying a "pin expert" a few years back on exactly this question, who convinced me why they couldn't be jumpered, and with my feeble understanding of AC (ie all I know is it hurts when you grab them wires! :) )I took his word for it.

Anyway, thanks for the original question Clive and great stuff Owen for the detail, makes sourcing US older Gottliebs that much more attractive.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC

Ah, yeah, not my meaning, should've been clearer. They show the wiring but without specifying that they can be re-wired as is shown in the system 80 one you posted. I recall querying a "pin expert" a few years back on exactly this question, who convinced me why they couldn't be jumpered, and with my feeble understanding of AC (ie all I know is it hurts when you grab them wires! :) )I took his word for it.

Anyway, thanks for the original question Clive and great stuff Owen for the detail, makes sourcing US older Gottliebs that much more attractive.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on this subject...

Technically they cannot be "jumpered" like Williams and Bally pinballs, but the can be re-wired to suit 230V.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
makes sense though.
just think of it this way. if you have two 12 volt lamps, if you want to run them off 12volts you run them in parallel if you want to run them of 24volts you run them in series.

on the williams/bally pins the transformer have 2 110v windings. if you want to run off 110v they are connected in parallel and if you want to run them on 220v (or 240v) they are connected in series.
this is done via the plug on the transformer.

but with gottlieb they have 2 transformers, both with 2 110v primary windings.  again If you need to run them off 220v to 240v you wire them in series. If you need to run them off 110v then you wire them in parallel
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:32:57 PM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)