Author Topic: Converting 1982 Gottlieb Transformer to 240v from 110  (Read 4688 times)

Offline shansta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
I can confirm that my Caveman is (now) wired as per owens pic - (my trannies have 2 X 110v primary's on each - just looped each one in series with itself)

I didn't blow anything up and it works like a charm.

Nice pic BTW - is that the scan from my manual?  #@#
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
I can confirm that my Caveman is (now) wired as per owens pic - (my trannies have 2 X 110v primary's on each - just looped each one in series with itself)

I didn't blow anything up and it works like a charm.

Nice pic BTW - is that the scan from my manual?  #@#

Quite possibly...

Glad to hear it worked for you!

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW

but with gottlieb they have 2 transformers, both with 110v primary windings. If you need to run them off 220v to 240v you wire them in series. If you need to run them off 110v then you wire them in parallel

COOL!! Thanks for this info, ive never really taken any notice of the primary wiring of the gtb transformers. That means i can remove the big, ugly stepdown transformer that is fitted to my Roller Disco (was in there when i got it) and just wire the transformer primaries in series #*# #*#

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic

but with gottlieb they have 2 transformers, both with 110v primary windings. If you need to run them off 220v to 240v you wire them in series. If you need to run them off 110v then you wire them in parallel

COOL!! Thanks for this info, ive never really taken any notice of the primary wiring of the gtb transformers. That means i can remove the big, ugly stepdown transformer that is fitted to my Roller Disco (was in there when i got it) and just wire the transformer primaries in series #*# #*#
just make sure you wire them as per the diagram.
when looking at the diagram you will noticed that the gotlieb transformers have 2 primary winding on each.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
Just had another query on this one - so here's a pic of my transformer wired for 240v input.

This one is the primary tranny for "Caveman" - the other side has a 110v tap for the video monitor, so the part numbers might be different...

There are 2 separate 120v windings, 1 left / 1 right.

The red wire bottom left is active, the white at top right is the neutral. (This is the 240v input)

The loop wire is the red/white wire running diagonally... (Hooked to 120v on the right winding, COM on the left winding)

I hope this helps!

Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
Just had another query on this one - so here's a pic of my transformer wired for 240v input.

This one is the primary tranny for "Caveman" - the other side has a 110v tap for the video monitor, so the part numbers might be different...

There are 2 separate 120v windings, 1 left / 1 right.

The red wire bottom left is active, the white at top right is the neutral. (This is the 240v input)

The loop wire is the red/white wire running diagonally... (Hooked to 120v on the right winding, COM on the left winding)

I hope this helps!

nice stuff,thanks guys
 $#$
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Redback

• Forum Posts:
Note,

I believe the fuse value changes.

Check the manual,  Put in the correct value for 220/240.

Red
Found hobby, now need coin

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Note,

I believe the fuse value changes.

Check the manual,  Put in the correct value for 220/240.

Red

The varistor and the EMI filter too?

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Great info there guys  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Bumping this thread for Pauly540 re transformer changes to 240v
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
 &^&

This won't work with Paul's as his transformers only have a single primary each not a double like the one in the pics
There are definitely 2 different sets of transformers one with dual windings (for 220/240v) and one for purely 110v
The 220v has the dual windings so can be setup for 110v or 220v

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
&^&

This won't work with Paul's as his transformers only have a single primary each not a double like the one in the pics
There are definitely 2 different sets of transformers one with dual windings (for 220/240v) and one for purely 110v
The 220v has the dual windings so can be setup for 110v or 220v
[/quote

Read reply no 7 on previous page from pinball fixers
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Pauly540

• Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW

Thanks, I thought I read this thread a long time ago, so it was always in my mind.
Originally I thought maybe the transformers were doing weird things with age, but it looks like I’m getting somewhere in my thread.
Cheers, Paul.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
makes sense though.
just think of it this way. if you have two 12 volt lamps, if you want to run them off 12volts you run them in parallel if you want to run them of 24volts you run them in series.

on the williams/bally pins the transformer have 2 110v windings. if you want to run off 110v they are connected in parallel and if you want to run them on 220v (or 240v) they are connected in series.
this is done via the plug on the transformer.

but with gottlieb they have 2 transformers, both with 2 110v primary windings.  again If you need to run them off 220v to 240v you wire them in series. If you need to run them off 110v then you wire them in parallel

Exactly right!  ^^^