Author Topic: Sega Launch Button - stopped working  (Read 320 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Sega Launch Button - stopped working
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:18:46 PM »
I only just my Baywatch this morning and played for a hour in the morning and no dramas and then turned on this arvo for a family do.

The launch button worked no problems in the morning and then 10 minutes in the arvo session it stopped working. Took me a little while because if you held both the left and right flipper in it would launch the ball out of the shooter wire form (lane), so it was still able to be played.

I haven't lifted the bonnet yet, but downloaded the manual and doesn't seem to have any info on the problem or the alternative ball launch option.

Can anyone help me if it is a switch gone, a board or anything else....

Any help would be much appreciated.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Sega Launch Button - stopped working
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 07:27:40 PM »
Jady, the buttons are notorious for wearing out. If u take the switch off, you will see there are 2 wires.
Usually by touching the 2 wires together, its closes the circuit and fires the ball (it might be a closed circuit switch and by pressing the button it might open the circuit and fire the ball as well) but u get the idea.

Take off the switch and touch the 2 wires together, it shld fire the switch, also test and fire the switch/ball shooter in the menu setings and it will also confirm that its a $20 switch issue, and not anything else. Hope it helps.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »
thanks Cavey    ^^^   , so simple yet should at least isolate the issue to being there or else where.

Will have a look tomorrow arvo, been a big day

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
I couldn't resist and inspected the back of the switch and sussed out and discovered that the road trip must have caused the switch assembly to come loose from the launch button assembly. Pushed it in and good to go.

A few other issues:

1. The shark gobble hole randomly keeps the ball for a while and goes into a ball search and other times ejects straight away - I am sure it will be a switch.
2. The dmd randomly drops out, found a hacked power lead that has 2 extra wires soldered in and not a positive looking plug so reckon this needs renewing.
3. Concerning one tonight which I hope is a coincidence but was having a quick game and then the lights dimmed in the shed and the machine reset twice. Checked with my wife and the whole house dimmed so not sure if it is machine thing or a local street power thing. I turned the machine off and headed upstairs and odd thing is my left hand had a little numb tingle for about 5 minutes to it so again don't know if it was the machine or maybe the way I was leaning on the machine. When the machine reset twice I heard a odd surge noise 2 times ?????

Can any one assist with item 3 or all of them but mainly number 3 as I don't want to be zapped nor any of my family or friends. 

Also where the hell is the volume control on these as the controls is only 2 buttons and did a search and missed it - probably something silly looking straight at me.....

cheers for any help

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
ok searched and found that the volume control is a pot near the power in the cab

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:44:39 PM »
display harness upgrade cable

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MC-500-6326-00

or

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6326-00

Email to see when they have stock coming in.

Look at the maual to see how the cabling for the DMD is supposed to be, and go from there to reverse the hack. If u are unsure, find a local pinny tech incase the voltage to the larger dmd is potentially dangerous.
Also, the gobble hole sounds like a dirty switch or a switch which needs adjustment.
I always plug my machines into a power surge board, and always make sure your house has a safety switch activated/installed.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:06:38 PM »
ok I have solved some issues:

- the gobble hole appears that the weldments had to be bent in a little and now appears to be 100%
- thanks cavey will order one of those cables as it appears all the large dmd's had a power drop out issue
- I got a message from Skybeaux (thanks heaps) and checked the braiding and it appears everything is ok and earthed out in relation to trim. I also noticed that the machine is standing a little higher than my other 2 pins so I am leaning with a bit more pressure on my hands which caused the tingle and played it for a while today and no light dimming so maybe a street power thing.
- and the launch button was solved yesterday.

so all this is coil.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »
Swinks,

Mate I'd suggest a full going over of the machine before playing it any more or letting kids play.

Was it bought privately or dealer?

Having game reset is not a big issue, lights dimming...Hmm a machine is drawing well less than 10 amps so unless that power circuit in your home is close to capacity I'd suspect another issue.

Wiring hacks on DMD power etc can be fixed and as long as the joints are not just taped over with some cheap arse black tape  !*! they can be repaired properly with heat shrink / solder etc.

Have you got a DMD?  I'd just check the Ohms for earth / grounding.

With the game off & unplugged I'd test what ohms you are getting from the earth pin on plug, to various metal points on the machine.  I'd start with the power distribution box (volume control area), lock down bar, legs, metal in backbox and finally a ground point on the power board.

Lots and lots of other things to go over, but safety should be number 1.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »
edit - just noticed you must have been typing whilst I was.  I'm glad Ken has gone through the safety stuff with you and I'm sure you're all over it.   *%*

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
thanks Marty, pm sent

for pinball t-shirts