Author Topic: POWER SUPPLY BOARD - SEGA/DATA EAST  (Read 2748 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: POWER SUPPLY BOARD - SEGA/DATA EAST
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 09:41:58 AM »
Nice board work there
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 12:29:29 AM »
Well, a big thankyou to my good mate Andrew (Beaky) for the rebuild of this power supply. Frankenstein has his power supply back in his chest and he is now back to normal.  ^^^  As u can see from the board work Andy did, he made the power supply safer, more reliable, and got rid of someone elses bad Euro hacks.

ALSO,
I also had a few issues with my TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and Andy fixed that as well. Whilst we were there, we replaced alot of the playfield light bulbs with 44's instead of the weak 47's that were in there from the previous owner. Just changing all the bulbs out and adding some new n brighter flashers has made the game come alive n much brighter. Some of the General illumination was as weak as piss but now its brighter n a mucher better lit playfield.

It pays to check the voltages coming out of your main power supply, and then rebuilding it if it is weak. The general illumination will pick up dramatically and make the game alot more reliable. It costs aprox $20 or less in parts to overhaul most power supplies and well worth it.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ If u dont know how to do it, contact Andrew (Beaky) or post the power supply to him like other members have for all board work and get a great job done by someone who knows everything there is to know about everything pinball.
Andy services all my pinbhalls and there isnt a machine or board he cant fix.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 01:00:17 AM »
thanks. Caveoftreasures & goodolddays for the kind words.  ^^^
 I de-soldered all the large blobs of solder that was on all the plugs and some of the tracks and then re-soldered all of them properly. It makes it so much easier when you have the right tools for the job like an adjustable temperature soldering station and a good quality de-soldering tool, both of which are now over 10 years old. Also for this board i used a good quality solder, 0.7mm, I know it's a bit thin but i have found it gives me better flow control when soldering.
I have found that this type of board has some bad design issues. a lot of the high current tracks are on the top of the pcb and rely on solder throughs to get the power to the plugs and fuse holders which are soldered on the bottom of the board. This wouldn't be a problem if the holes for the plugs where bigger to allow solder to flow through the whole joint and to the top side of the pcb and attach it self between the top track and pins that are being soldered to the board, but the holes are so close to the size of the pins and don't allow this to happen. It's not so bad with the fuse holders as you can solder them from the top and bottom. That is why there were so many hacks on this board, this is a common hack done on these boards because of the design fault.
I way I got around this with the plugs was by first soldering all the pins on the bottom of the board and then gently prising the plastic on the plugs up (with a small flat screw driver) so i had enough room to solder the pins to the tracks on the top of the board (being extra careful not to break the black plastic as it is quite brittle), then pushing the plastic back down again once this was done.
With the G.I relay I had to raise it slightly so i could get the iron tip underneath it and flow some solder onto the pins and pcb. ( I used a long thin iron tip for this)
The end result was good strong solder joints and noticeably brighter G.I. & insert lighting throughout the playfield & back box.            
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 01:02:44 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 07:18:41 PM »
Thanks for the insight to your work Beaky ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$