Author Topic: Fuse ratings for dummies...  (Read 494 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Fuse ratings for dummies...
« on: June 26, 2015, 11:15:56 PM »
Guys have been reading on proper fuse selection & seems to be often conflicting advice. What I'm after is a "fuse ratings 101". If the machine is Aus-delivered it seems to me the fuses should be different to, say, a US pin being used here. One Oz repairer (one of the more reputable ones) wrote a comment/article noting that when they work on a pin 90% of the time they have fuses with incorrect ratings for Australia. I'm talking Williams Bally dmd's. Can anyone give me a brief overview or point me to a good reference? Cheers.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
Re: Fuse ratings for dummies...
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 11:28:18 PM »
IMO only consider the primary side of the transformer as this is really the only fuse which amy be affected.
This is due to the transformer stepping down to the required voltage and then all fuse values and voltages there after are as per diagram/schematic.
If I am correct in the US which uses 110v single phase mains voltage they prefer 8A fuses on primary.
In Aus we have 230v single phase mains voltage and we recommend 5A fuses on primary.
Does that help Dude.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:43:49 AM »
That both makes sense & is very helpful - thanks Oldskool.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:11:39 AM »
Basically the lower the voltage the higher the current draw

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:18:35 AM »
A good reference to look up would be the power formula.
The total power consumption for a machine in the US and Australia is the same and since Power(P) = Volts(V) x Current(I) if the voltage changes the current must change according to keep the power the same.

If you are using an external add on step down transformer you should keep the US 8 amp fuse in the machine.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:14:41 AM »
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 12:42:28 PM »

so what fuse is used for an oz  machine....just kidding....would be nice if everything was labelled like that. I haven't looked under a gottleib but am told they have a lot of labelling too, but this is off topic
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 02:21:57 PM »
Yes, great labelling (nice colour too), shame Bally-Williams didn't take a leaf out of the same book. Thanks all for the help - all sorted & very glad it's just the primary side!!