Author Topic: Dirty Harry (1995 Williams)  (Read 561 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Dirty Harry (1995 Williams)
« on: December 14, 2008, 11:52:55 PM »
Just thought I would give an update on this one.

Lots of globes gone - I hope not symptomatic of deeper problems - but I will find out once I replace them all. I will try to pick up a bunch of GE555s tomorrow.

Was having trouble with the gun popper (this is a kicker housed in a gun magazine shape that can be loaded from the ball shooter). Testing proved a poor positive connection to the solenoid. This has now been fixed with some soldering and tests perfect every time. Now I just have to sort out a switch problem in the same area. Too busy playing it to bother, though.

Still very playable despite the minor glitch. I have set it back to factory default (medium) with 5 balls and it plays a lot harder than it did before. Makes getting a high score all the more satisfying. The kids seem to like this one too, although I think the theme of Mousin' Around is more attractive to them.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Dirty Harry (1995 Williams)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:45:35 AM »
I should add that the globes were working before getting back to my place.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »

GI lamps or feature lamps ?

If they are GI - then I'd be looking at the connectors... I'll bet the IDC connectors are worn and toasty brown !!
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:39:57 AM »

GI lamps or feature lamps ?

If they are GI - then I'd be looking at the connectors... I'll bet the IDC connectors are worn and toasty brown !!
Connectors were replaced from memory. Try reseating j120/ J121 on power driver board, sounds like connector may have loosened due to transport. Test globes that appear to be out in a known working socket eg backbox panel before disguarding.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:48:28 AM »
I'll get the replacements and then test - all the bulbs I have looked at have broken filaments or are black on top. I tested some of the better looking ones in a known working location but they didn't light up. If there was a connector issue you would expect all the bulbs attached to one board not to light up but there is no pattern at the moment. Anyway, it is a wait and see. I have taken some photos of the playfield which I will upload later so that people can marvel at its pristine condition.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:19:21 AM by ajlaird »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:17:34 AM »

If the connectors have been replaced - then they may have come loose during transport..

So if it is not GI - then it could be the connectors under the playfield ? Check to see if they have come loose from their boards..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 12:40:36 AM »
Just lots of playfield globes had died - no reason it would seem (put it down to moving). Replacements all work, although to get a couple in required removing boards from the underside of the playfield. And one globe holder came loose after I tried to force a globe in there, so did a hack solder job on that one to get it going (really the holder needs replacing). The playfield looks grouse with all the lights working again.

While I was under the playfield I removed the tunnel between the trapdoor and the gun popper (which houses the gun lock switch - a rollover). I mentioned earlier I started having intermittent gun popper problems, which I rectified earlier by resoldering the positive to the solenoid. Well, at some point since then the ball wasn't getting to the gun popper, just sitting in this tunnel. Removal of the tunnel tonight made everything clear - the rollover switch was sitting above the switch gap and catching on the tunnel floor, jamming the ball in the tunnel. With some judicious bending the switch is now behaving itself and the trapdoor -> gun popper is operating really well.

I love this stuff; I can see why people get hooked on it. Now someone needs to donate me a project pin. Might keep on eye on the local paper garage sales.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 01:37:30 PM »

All part of the learning process !