Author Topic: Hi from Katoomba newbie  (Read 1302 times)

Offline kvernon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Katoomba, Blue Mountains, NSW Australia
Hi from Katoomba newbie
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:47:36 PM »
 <..> Hello there, my name is Karen. I'm new in more than one way - I just got my first pinball machine! and of course I then find this site so here I am.

For those of you not in NSW Australia Katoomba is located in the Blue Mountains, about 1 & half hours west of Sydney.

More importantly my treasured, beloved pinball machine is The Who's Tommy by Data East. I have been huge Who fan since I was about 8 yrs old & used to play this pinnie in Sydney when it first came out. Then 2 yrs ago I started work at a place that had Tommy and I knew things were meant to be. Renovations meant the machine no longer had a place where I work so after much negotiation I bought it.  $#$
It has been well looked after by the electricians at work & cosmetically good nick, although the playfield is filthy and the rubbers have deteriorated.

I'm so happy and want to learn how to care for it properly. I have the original manual for it & have a lot of spare parts. Very pleased to join this community, even if it is in a small way.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Hi from Katoomba newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 08:53:41 PM »
Welcome Karen, great site with lots of helpful people here so enjoy and don't be scared to ask any questions no matter how small or silly.

Jady
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »
Welcome aboard Karen - good name that (same name as my wife -  %.%)
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »
Welcome aboard, Karen. Nice pinball machine - feel free to post photos of before and after you tidy it up!

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »
Read the title and had an immediate childhood memory flashback -  ^^^

Welcome to the forum too.  ()
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:20:08 PM by pinsanity »

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:20:11 PM »
Welcome Karen.

Tommy is a fantastic game, one of the favourites in my collection.

Offline noj472

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »
 $.$ Karen,

Nice choice of machine and I'm sure you play a mean pinball  %.%

Offline kvernon

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
Fabulous pic of the Scenic railway!  ^^^  That's where I work & where my Tommy pinball came from!!!
Just for your info that particular train is being retired on the 13th of this month, and a brand new one starting in April. That's why Tommy became redundant - no room now the new platform is being built and a new food court has been put in place.

I will start taking pics of my Tommy today - the flipper rubber finally gave up the ghost so now isn't the time for play but cleaning & nurturing. Isn't pinball wonderful? *%*

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 03:23:00 PM »
I remember going to that arcade at the top of the skyway 25 -30 odd years ago on family holidays and then main street Katoomba had a good one as well
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:26:51 PM »
Hello Karen,

My 'hobby business' is re-making boards for pinball machines that are either difficult to get or give a lot of trouble.

One of the projects on my to do list is the servo driver board for Tommy that drives the servo that moves the 'blinders' that cover the flippers during play.

I wonder, if you are going to be pulling things apart to replace rubbers, if you might be able to measure the dimensions of this board for me? The dimensions I need are shown in the diagram below. If you don't feel comfortable removing the apron to do this that's no problem (this board is mounted under the front steel apron).

Offline kvernon

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »
Hi Homepin - I'd be happy to do what I can with any info you need.

I also have the manual but that may not have the info you need - I'll have a look.

I know the blinders work in mine - one of the electricians proudly told me he got them working again. At one stage they didn't & I tried to use that as a reason to keep the price low  :lol Got them working in a game last night before the flipper rubber went *ping*, but they won't work on start up the way they are supposed to do. Cousin Kevin showed up a couple of times though  !@#

How quickly would you like the info? I tried to remove the front steel apron but one of the screws has been tightened by Hercules so I left it for now. happy to have a go at it tomorrow afternoon.

Also bear in mind I am a complete novice at this so I might need to clarify things with you. Sounds like a great job - you do this fulltime?

Offline kvernon

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
Hey Pinsanity, Where did the pic of the railway come from? I don't think I've seen it & we've been compiling a big history on the subject - there have been 6 "trains" in total although some were more like a trolley - how scary would that have been? We''ve got pics of these women in Edwardian outfits waiting to go down to the mines. Tough girls in those days, and ever so properly dressed

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
Thanks Karen - it's a bit of an ask so don't do it unless you are comfortable doing so.

The manual doesn't have the dimension info that's why I need that.

You can have a look at my stuff here www.homepin.com

Offline kvernon

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
I love a challenge & it's not that much of an ask. I'm surrounded by engineers - my man is one & I work with a few & my grandfather was one- I'm sure it will be done without too much effort  *%*

Offline kvernon

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 06:38:31 PM »
Hello Karen,

My 'hobby business' is re-making boards for pinball machines that are either difficult to get or give a lot of trouble.

One of the projects on my to do list is the servo driver board for Tommy that drives the servo that moves the 'blinders' that cover the flippers during play.

I wonder, if you are going to be pulling things apart to replace rubbers, if you might be able to measure the dimensions of this board for me? The dimensions I need are shown in the diagram below. If you don't feel comfortable removing the apron to do this that's no problem (this board is mounted under the front steel apron).

Is it the small board on the left hand side as you are facing the machine?