Author Topic: Stern Galaxy solonoids not quite right  (Read 555 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Stern Galaxy solonoids not quite right
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
Without trying to be condescending, you are cutting off the used de-solder wick, aren't you?

You can use actually use a small amount of solder to get some flux in there, otherwise you can buy flux at Jaycar etc.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:10 PM »

does the soldering iron have a temperature setting ? Sounds like it is not hot enough. Also the tip of the iron must be clean. Use an old wet dishwashing sponge, and wipe the hot tip on the sponge from time to time. Makes a huge difference.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline deep six

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle NSW
    • ATC Heaven
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2011, 08:22:44 AM »
Thanks guy.

Yep, I was cutting off the used wick, but it seemed to be less effective after the second round of use.
Soldering iron is set to 350, sometimes 400 but hotter didn't seem to make it any better, the temp only goes up to 450 so I was hesitant at running it too hot.
Anyway, I got some flux, bakers soldering fluid I think it was called, I just "borrowed" a bit out of a bottle from work, dipped the braid in that and it works a treat.
Thanks on the tip, tip nino. My new soldering station has a holder section with a wet sponge, I agree, it does make a difference when you keep the tip clean, you can always tell when the tip needs cleaning and a simple wipe does the job.
Just waiting for the new components to turn up from big daddy and will start on re-assembly. You were right nino, 3 to 10 hours is a good estimate for this job. I wish Homepin was making these boards, would be a whole lot easier to just make a new one. However the practice can only be a good thing.

Cheers all
"Wanted" Snappy signature, please insert here......

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »
You also have to be careful as some flux is acid based and I think the Bakers might be one of them.
You will need to clean the area well after soldering/desoldering to prevent future corrosion damage to the boards.

For electronics, you should only use a rosin based flux which is non corrosive.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:33:50 AM by Steevsee »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 12:56:09 PM »
Thanks guy.

Yep, I was cutting off the used wick, but it seemed to be less effective after the second round of use.
Soldering iron is set to 350, sometimes 400 but hotter didn't seem to make it any better, the temp only goes up to 450 so I was hesitant at running it too hot.
Anyway, I got some flux, bakers soldering fluid I think it was called, I just "borrowed" a bit out of a bottle from work, dipped the braid in that and it works a treat.
Thanks on the tip, tip nino. My new soldering station has a holder section with a wet sponge, I agree, it does make a difference when you keep the tip clean, you can always tell when the tip needs cleaning and a simple wipe does the job.
Just waiting for the new components to turn up from big daddy and will start on re-assembly. You were right nino, 3 to 10 hours is a good estimate for this job. I wish Homepin was making these boards, would be a whole lot easier to just make a new one. However the practice can only be a good thing.

Cheers all

I'm sure that if you asked Mike (Homepin) nicelky, he might be willing to have a look at reproducing these boards. Rottendog and GPE already make them, so the market may have already been cornered !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia