Author Topic: TZ either Rocks or Sucks bigguns  (Read 761 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
TZ either Rocks or Sucks bigguns
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »
My prized TZ project is playable but had one flipper "gave up" about a month or two ago. I decided to look into it finally today, so first step as usual was to check out Clay's repair site.
Step 1: check out the fuses.
"Oh yea!"
 @.@

So yes, it was a fuse. Of course I'm not sure why the fuse went "pfvzztt" in the first place, but after replacing the bad fuse it has been working OK so I'll see if it goes out again eventually before I start replacing transistors & such. Anyway...

I get to playing it again and grooving on it. What a great game TZ is! First game was a little rusty but it was all starting to come back. Game two I got LITZ. Yahoo! This is a blast! Can't stop after two so I play a couple more. Game three just sucked. Couldn't hit anything but posts. After game four (Brack!) I left the house to visit some family for a while. Got back home and game 5,6,7 ditto. Damn what a shitty game TZ is! Didn't punch my fist through the glass yet, but I can visualize it dammit! AAaaarrrrrgh!

Gotta love pinball.  *%*
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: TZ either Rocks or Sucks bigguns
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »

TZ is a game that has to be 100 % functional to play.. That's the only way it can be appreciated..

I played many a TZ and I had no clue until I played Greg's at Child's before he took it home..

The only other machine that was 100% was Dave's (Silverball)...

Tough and unforgiving game for the "thinking" pinball player !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:19:30 PM »
Yea I was thinking along the lines of the "thinking" pinball player during my last couple games. Since the rest of my games are older by several years, playing the TZ again was just awesome. There is so much to keep track of and so much stacking and loading and all that busyness is fun in itself. Works for me anyway. When friends come over and play it they are just completely overwhelmed and don't know what to do, but they like a couple other games I have so it works out. Something for everybody.

Mine is good & functional and snappy- one nice thing about having one in the house. But if one little thing goes wrong it suddenly becomes hard to appreciate. My trough powerball sensor all of a sudden quit working before game 7 after never giving me trouble before today  :( Oh, well. Something to do I guess. Once you hit the upper subways powerball will kick in, but of course you stumble into the ramp and waste a perfectly good "battle the power" every time instead and that just pisses a guy off. I guess one thing folks talk about a bunch is clock problems, but that's one thing that doesn't affect play much. More fun when it's right though.

Funny how beginner's luck works. I got one good game and then the machine instantly became a total bastard, tough-ass, no-lovin', mutha shut-yo-mouth. Kept going where I shot it instead of where I wanted it!
 ^.^
"Who put all those posts in the way?!"

Still... gotta love pinball. *%*
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 07:31:11 PM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 10:15:46 AM »

for me TZ  is as said a thinking pinball  , I rate as one of the hardest if not the hardest pinball to play.
they have to working properly to have half a chance

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 10:25:29 AM »
It is a great game, but you definately have to be in the mood for it, not a game when you just want to bash a ball around for 10 mins, you really need to keep your brain in when playing.
Just finished putting mine back together, just a few little things to finish off now, was awesome playing the first game after all the hard work.
I play HS2 when I just feel like a bash, and have the TZ and WH20 when I have time (and patients) for a deeper game

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:56:40 PM »
Just finished putting mine back together, just a few little things to finish off now, was awesome playing the first game after all the hard work.

(Tapping foot smiley) Waiting for the invite to come and play so I can remind myself why I sold my TZ....
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 06:52:05 PM »

(Tapping foot smiley) Waiting for the invite to come and play so I can remind myself why I sold my TZ....

Very very soon mate  &&
Might get the CI heavy haulage team in to move it from the shed over to the house when I'm done *)*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 10:40:36 PM »
 #@#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:46:46 PM »
It is a great game, but you definately have to be in the mood for it, not a game when you just want to bash a ball around for 10 mins, you really need to keep your brain in when playing.
I play HS2 when I just feel like a bash, and have the TZ and WH20 when I have time (and patients) for a deeper game
I agree, you have to be in the mood for it. I found mine, although very nice, the least played pin in my house and decided to get rid of it.

Offline Docpinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 11:56:22 AM »
TZ really depends on your taste.  You either love it to death or hate it.  Personally I've had mine for 12 years and would never part with it.  it would be the last pin to go along with TSPP. I get totally engrossed in it and the challenges that are all over the playfield, but many of my friends don't want to know it.  Its too messy for them.
But there is no question it is a stand out pinball with so much work in the design.

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 02:28:19 PM »

no need,  you sold it because you didn't like it.....remember
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 07:00:43 PM »
no need,  you sold it because you didn't like it.....remember

I need to remind myself or I might buy another!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 09:47:19 PM »
TZ is a great game if you try to make the shots for each mission. Its a lame game if you just keep making the left hand ramp come slot machine shot. I can on occasion get 2 to 3 LITZ on a 5 ball game. So I reckon you could nearly say this about any game (within reason). If you try to play it as the rule intended, they all can be challenging.

And believe it or not I think SWEP1 can be quite enjoyable when played in this manner. I was thinking about the number of shots on the pinnies and they all have the standards and not much more. Ramp shot,  bumper shot, target shots, (shit I forget the term for this and someone will tell me) around the playfield shot, and some central shot like the trunk in ToM, slot/piano in TZ, Ring master (CV) etc. and gimmicks like magnets, uper playfields or monitors/firing buttons.

People say TZ is difficult and SWEP1 is simple but they have pretty much the same concepts and yet one is classed as #1 and the other a boat anchor. Now Wizard mode on the other hand is a different matter. TZ rocks ,ToM is bearable, SWEP1 is disapointing etc etc
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 10:30:01 PM »
I forget the term for this and someone will tell me) around the playfield shot

Loop shot?

Offline pinball god