Author Topic: Best & Worst Pinball Questionaire.  (Read 513 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Best & Worst Pinball Questionaire.
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
Hi all,
Thought i'd start up a different Questionaire to find your experiences with what may be the better (or worse) pinballs out there ...

There are some key points that we should all be aware of, so let's make this project built on LOCAL experience).

Things to mention in your response :

1) Name of Pinball :

2) What's so GOOD about this pin? :
a) gameplay.
b) skills & challenges.
c) slow/fast action.
d) music & Effects.

3) What's so BAD about this pin? :
a) gameplay.
b) skills & challenges.
c) slow/fast action.
d) music & Effects.
e) faults, Bugs'n'Glitches including Mods or Maintenance required :

I think that should basically cover it, and if you feel there's anything else needed, we'll add it in accordingly.

No need to wait your turn to reply, just add your responses whenever you can manage.
MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Best & Worst Pinball Questionaire.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:48:30 PM »

1) Name of Pinball :

Circus Voltaire

It is a colorful theme that is is the "whole" package for me. The music is great, skillshots are fun and the ringmaster adds humor to the game. It is the only DMD that I have ever wanted to keep in the collection, as I never grow Tired of it.

a) gameplay.

"Join the Circus" - A set of tasks, that mostly end in multiball - Highwire, Juggler and Ringmaster to name three.

b) skills & challenges.

Hardest shot - Acrobat shot is always a difficult shot at the best of times

c) slow/fast action.

FAST - although the video modes are more of a break between furious pinball action !

d) music & Effects.

The BEST music and sound effects on any game hands down..

Price tag - A nice game will set you back $6000. Repro decals are not the highest quality, and the Neons are always gone. The Neon Ramp is always broken around half way down

a) gameplay.

Video Modes.. Stupid Kangaroo jumping over brick letter boxes...

b) skills & challenges.

All good..Nothing Bad

c) slow/fast action.

All good..Nothing Bad

d) music & Effects.

All good..Nothing Bad

No issues other than the neon will fail eventually. There was talk of a repro playfield 18 months ago, but that ended up being "hot air"..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Marty Machine

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:55:35 PM »
Thanx Nino,
That's an excellent start, and a handy guide for other users to add their pins here too.

MM.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:26:42 AM »
OK, this is going to be controversial but here goes:

1) Name of Pinball :

Twilight Zone

a) gameplay.

interesting toys (gumball machine, magnaflip, rocketship launch)

b) skills & challenges.

many things to do - deep rule set

c) slow/fast action.

fast and furious

d) music & Effects.

DMD animations are nice.

a) gameplay.

Stop start, no flow, drain monster.

b) skills & challenges.

Shooting for extra ball - sometimes ball does not stick (pops out). Could have been the way my machine was setup. The magnets seem to stop the flow when going around the loops. Did I mention this game has no flow??? Ramp shots are average. Left outlane is a ball magnet.

c) slow/fast action.

Very fast - sometimes too fast

d) music & Effects.

so so. Music and audio nothing special. Would have been heaps better with DCS.

slot scoop is always broken. Magna flip and rocket plastics always break. Auto fire on multiball is very sensitive and not always effective if slightly off.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:28:22 AM by Creech »

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:35:53 AM »
Awesome Creech, thanx for your input.

No doubt there will be different opinions in this thread, but it's good to see the Pro's & Con's of some machines.

It'll probably also help users with their next purchase, looking for a pin that appeals to them, based on some extra info found in here.

Thanx,
MM.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 04:07:12 PM »
1) Name of Pinball : Gottlieb Mibs 1969

a) gameplay. One of the last 2” flipper pins, designed by one of the masters Ed Krynski (R.I.P dude) and artwork by Art Stenholm. This game was released as both Rack a Ball 1962 and Bowling Queen 1964 previously. The later 2 were designed by Wayne Neyens and art by Roy Parker. Have all 3 in the collection. The game play sounds so lame compared to the more modern pins but the idea is there are 12 rollovers lit at the start of the game, each rollover ‘racks’ one of the backglass animation balls in the head. Each rollover can rack one ball, so specials are awarded at usually 9, 11 and 12. There are also 3 stationary targets which are red, yellow and red/white. Hitting all 3 targets lights the specials that alternate on the out lanes.

b) skills & challenges. As mentioned above, also the rollovers score 500 when lit, once the ball goes over this and racks the ball that rollover is only worth 50 points until the end of the game. Also the 3 stationary targets advance the scores on certain features. The yellow target on the left scores 100 points and lights the yellow bumpers for 10 points (they were only 1 point at the start of the game). The red target on the right scores 100 points and lights the red bumpers for 10 points. Hitting the top red/white target above the flippers lights the 2 side kickers for 10 points. To score a game on points required 5,500 for the first, 6,500 for the second and 7,000 for the third replay.

c) slow/fast action. Surprising this game plays fast. The game in my collection has been fully torn down and rebuilt, so she plays awesome!

d) music & Effects. Well she might lack here as it only has 3 chimes, one for the 1 point, one for the 10 point and the other for the 100 points.

What makes this game kick arse is holds immense memories – it was the last old school 2” flipper game on location and we used to play it to death. The largest thrill was winning 3 replays on one shot. This was achieved by getting the required points for a replay by rolling the ball over one of the out lane rollovers that were lit for special and at the same time racking another ball for the animation special in the head. Some games you can win 3 games on points, 3 games on the backglass animation specials and a few games on special on the out lanes. The game in my collection came down from Queensland via my good friend Michael Shalhoub and was near mint before being fully restore and rebuilt

3) What's so BAD about this pin?

a) gameplay. None

b) skills & challenges. None - if you can play an old EM well you can play the new stuff blindfolded

c) slow/fast action. None

d) music & Effects. Some might think only having 3 chimes would be lacking but she sure makes some noise when in full flight

e) faults, Bugs'n'Glitches including Mods or Maintenance required: Ha ha ha – she is an old Gottlieb mechanical – she just keeps going. This game worked when I got it and hasn’t missed a beat in the 12 years she has been in my collection
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:29:40 PM by illawarra_steelers »

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 04:10:53 PM »
some pix

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
Sweet, sweet machine...Thanks for sharing Tony. Those old Gottliebs really epitomise everything that was great about pinball.

Marty Machine

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 08:42:52 PM »
Thanx for that Tony,

For someone like me that knows very little (close to nothing) about EM's, i learnt a bit already from your response.
I still think they should be called EMW though, "Electro Mechanical Wonders"   &&

I was looking in the back of the "Hot & Cold" at Markc's the other day, with some minor faults (rebuilding modules required)....Amazing to see them working, and noisy too  :lol

MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »

What a beautiful game Tony..

Thanks for sharing  #*#

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 10:35:59 PM »
Oh that isn't my game - those pix are off IPDB - did the reply from work and didn't have pix of my Mibs - mine is even nicer than that one *%* ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 11:52:05 PM »
Oh that isn't my game - those pix are off IPDB - did the reply from work and didn't have pix of my Mibs - mine is even nicer than that one *%* ^^^

WOW - Yours it better ?

That would be one nice game...