Author Topic: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Gottlieb Sinbad Restore
« on: November 02, 2008, 12:26:03 AM »

Lots of System One love recently... Time for a Classic System One Restore - For a member on AP  &&

Background

This was a game purchased from that Magical Child's Container. There's something about these old classics, and I was hoping I'd get a run at a System One machine before I start my system 80s. Anyhow, this game is like all the games from that container - Great playfield, Good backglass and Good Body... on the negative side - these games were sitting in storage for more years than they were operated (my theory), so there is some rust and corrosion.. That does not deter me at all...

Condition

Backglass - 7/10 - Good. Might need to be sealed, but it seems to be ok. I've seen it one or twice..

Cabinet - 8/10 - Under the dirt, there's a nice cabinet. No major scratches or dints. Corrosion on the inside of the door.

Playfield
- 9/10 - Been mylared (contact) very early on in its life. ZERO wear.. Vibrant colors and no lifting.

Electronics - 0/10 - Purchased without boards (as is machine).. Pascal PI-X4 was ordered and I've got it on my desk ! so it will be 10/10.

Objective

To restore the game - not recondition. The game has HEAPS of potential if it is done right. No stone unturned - biggest hurdle will be the corrosion. PI-X4 ensure reliability.. This SHOULD be a great player and fantastic addition to the gamesroom.

Starting point

MarkC dropped the game off (amongst others  #@# - and helped me re arrange my garage). First thing to do was a quick examination of the game and a point of agreement with the new owner about the parts that will be ordered. Parts have been ordered, and it looks like the game will get the "full treatment" - which is just the way I like it !

Initial Pictures

Check out the Bally/Williams legs on the Game !! These are a spare pair that I removed from my CV..

Outside of the door is very good and straight

Inside of the door shows the amount of corrosion and rust..

GREAT colors for a game this old....

Stay tuned... Lots happening on this game !!

*%*

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:28:58 AM »
Nice condition machine to pick up - VERY clean apart from the corrosion inside the door.

This will come up BEAUTIFULLY!

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:47:31 AM »
I'm the AP member Nino is talking about. I can't wait to get that in my gamesroom! It goes without saying, please keep the updates coming.

Did you order the spinner plastic as well mate?

LOL at the legs!

Offline coolspot

• Forum Posts:
  • traralgon vic
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 10:31:49 AM »
ive always wondered are them 3 block things in the cab for the alarm if someone sets off the anti slam switch

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
It's the chime unit.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 11:02:04 AM »
ive always wondered are them 3 block things in the cab for the alarm if someone sets off the anti slam switch

I spat drink all over my comp screen when i read that...  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

sorry coolspot, i had to post... *%*
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore - Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »

Lots of fun for the first update.. Time to strip the cabinet down to the last screw, and start some cleaning. I concentrate on the lower cabinet and the job of removing as much corrosion as I can. I will try several methods - but first - I need to work on the lower cabinet.

Here's the lower cabinet stripped completely, and the transformer board removed. The cabinet will be vacuumed and washed with my favorite product - Nifti - and the transformer board will be stripped and cleaned.. Some may think this is going a bit "overboard", but that's just the way I like doing things.. <.>

Before cleaning the cabinet with any chemical, it is worth checking to see if that chemical reacts with the paint. So a small area is trialled first to see if any paint lifts etc... This was not the case..I did the front area with Nifti and an old paint brush the night before, and it looked great in the morning. First thing I did was vacuum the cabinet and they use a compressor to remove anything that was missed.

Cleaning the inside and outside of the cab is easy.. Bucket of water, Nifti, wet rag, dry rag and old paint brush. Spray the Nifti liberally on the cabinet, and let it run for a minute. Scrub with the paintbrush until it lathers and watch the years of crap disappear before your very eyes ! Rinse the brush, grab the wet rag and remove the crap from the parts of the machine and rinse. Go over the section again wit the wet rag and finally - Dry with the dry rag.. Do this for every inch of the cabinet - no short cuts... *.*

It should look like this ;

Look at those colors  ^^^

I was really happy with the result....

Siderails

Next we grab some 360 wet/Dry sandpaper and some windex.. Cut the sandpaper into squares and fold it into your sanding block. Spray the Sandpaper, NOT the machine.... Now run the block from left to right on the siderails - in long runs from tip to tip of the machine.. Do this on all angles of the siderails.. Watch out for the nail heads.. These nails are pretty bad, so I will be replacing them - they are cheap, so NO SHORTCUTS  %.%

Front Door

Not the best I've seen, nor the worst. Strip the door of every screw and soak everything in a tub of Nifti and hot water.. Leave it overnight. Now to tackle the inside of the door.... The outside skin is PERFECT.. Dead straight  ^^^..

Here's what is a head of me ;

I'm going to try a few methods here.. Windex and scotchbrite will do the trick here - or so I hope !!

So I try a test part - on the inside of the door - not seen if the coin mech is in place... Green Scotchbrite and windex with a bit of elbow grease and here are some results...

The parts are exactly the same. One cleaned as described above and a brass wire brush for the corners.. Took a while, but it does have some encouraging results.

Transformer Board

Both transformers are rusted - so hey will be cleaned - just for "looks"... Wire brush took care of that, and I removed the brackets and gave them a clean with scotchbite pads and windex...

The wooden base was sanded, and all the screws were dipped in Ranex... Be REAL careful with this stuff - it is a nasty acid and it will eat your clothes and burn your skin.. I left the screws in a small container, and the chemical reaction took place and the screws lost 30 years of rust in 20 minutes.. I cleaned the wiring up and washed the cable ties...

There's a nice "shine" to the transformers... Will they work better - "NO"  <.> but they look good...

There's the first "session" on the Sinbad done..

:D

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 12:48:01 PM »
I'm all barred up over a pinball now  :lol Fantastic progress!

This is looking awesome. I can't believe how much you've done in such a short space of time. Do you actually sleep Nino or are you up 24 hours a day doing this?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
I'm all barred up over a pinball now  :lol Fantastic progress!

This is looking awesome. I can't believe how much you've done in such a short space of time. Do you actually sleep Nino or are you up 24 hours a day doing this?

I get asked this question all the time - The only way I can answer it is by saying I'm just "passionate" - this is a pastime for me. I don't do anything else except look after the family.. I work in IT - So there's no "hands on"... When I get home from work, I'm straight in the garage.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 12:07:52 AM »
Lookin great so far ^^^ Im a big fan of system 1 Gottliebs, so cant wait to see the end result.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 12:10:41 AM by mitch »

Offline coolspot

• Forum Posts:
  • traralgon vic
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 01:06:51 AM »
guys i didnt know what it was as cannes is my first pin ^.^ now i know what it is also nino got a pic of under the pf you seem to be missing that one %$%

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 01:28:34 AM »
guys i didnt know what it was as cannes is my first pin ^.^ now i know what it is also nino got a pic of under the pf you seem to be missing that one %$%

No worries - I'll add one to the thread when I start the playfield.

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 09:58:45 AM »
Hey Nino,

Sorry for the OT post, but do you offer reconditioning of pins as a service? I have a Judge Dredd machine in need of some serious cleaning (PF, ramps, wireforms, targets etc) but wouldn't know the first thing about stripping a playfield nor how to clean one without destroying it. I think I would prefer to have it done professionally and your restoration/reconditioning/cleaning skills are first class.

Matthew

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »
Hey Nino,

Sorry for the OT post, but do you offer reconditioning of pins as a service? I have a Judge Dredd machine in need of some serious cleaning (PF, ramps, wireforms, targets etc) but wouldn't know the first thing about stripping a playfield nor how to clean one without destroying it. I think I would prefer to have it done professionally and your restoration/reconditioning/cleaning skills are first class.

Matthew

No time like the present to learn, take heaps of photos, only remove what you have to and you'll have no probs.  It's only nuts and screws, take your time, get out the novus 2 and you'll have the satisfaction of doing it yourself  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »
Hey Nino,

Matthew

I'm a Hobbyist, Matt - First and foremost. As mentioned, if you are 100% not going to do it yourself, then PM me.. A word of warning - I have a crapload of restores (my own) in the pipeline..  :D