Author Topic: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore - Upper Playfield
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 11:58:27 PM »

As explained earlier, I had plenty of success removing the contact (mylar) from the playfield. The playfield was fine with the contact "as is", but it is always worth examining whether the playfield and the machine would benefit from the removal - because underneath the dull contact, could be a really nice playfield - protected all these years ! I approach this decision by testing a section that has already. You can also look at the artwork through the mylar and if it looks like there are fine "cracks" then this can influence the decision. Mylar (in its current form) did not exist in 1970's.. Operators used contact - Thinner and the adhesive is easily warmed up with a hair dryer...

Before Pictures

Nice playfield "as is".. Would be just fine with the mylar intact. But the temptation of a perfect playfield under that mylar was too much !!

Contact Removal

After testing in a corner of the playfield - it was "All Systems Go".. Armed with a Hair Dryer and a set of needle nose pliers, I warmed up the mylar ahead of where I was lifting it and gentle pulled the contact in an "upwards" direction - small sections at a time. Avoid heat directly on the playfield where the contact has been removed.. Watch for any paint lift.. Thankfully, not a speck for me - This time  :D

The Key to contact / Mylar removal is patience

Here's some pictures ;

Upper Playfield complete, working down to the flippers..

Contact removed, and now the adhesive residue remains.. This was easily removed with Shellite (Naptha) from Bunnings, and a rag. Playfield is a bit dull beforehand, but the colors are vibrant.

After removing all the residue with Shellite. I removed the other dirt with Novus 3, and then Novus 2. I noticed that the mylar was installed a few years after the game was operated and there is some evidence of ball swirtl in the Yellow areas...

Here are two pictures after the Novus 2 and a bit of polishing are done. No waxing yet, as I need to work on the underside of the playfield. I'm VERY pleased with the results  ^^^

Next update - The underside of the playfield !

:D
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia