Author Topic: HRP Banzai Run...  (Read 3055 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
HRP Banzai Run...
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:30:44 PM »
Hey guys,

We recently completed this Banzai Run project for a collector based in Victoria.
Massive amount of time and effort in this one, hopefully the images and information provided
below help paint the picture for what went into this.

Base unit as received...

Looks good from a few feet away...

Backbox detail...

Detail, it a little hard to see the cracking and split art...

Backglass/Display glass is nice...

Upper playfield glass was in tact, but flaking and faded...

Cabinet generally tired, in need of restoration or replacement...

One major aspect to this project was the initial documentation, there is so much hardware in this
game, i wanted to make sure that we had covered the entire teardown process so we could be
confident during the rebuild...

We treated the game as it was two - the first part of the project was the upper playfield and cabinet rebuild...

Taking the cabinet apart, there are many sub assemblies to the cabinet, each was completely
stripped, cleaned, painted etc and rebuilt...

Fast forward a few hours, the upper cabinet is stripped and parts are broken down for various refinishing...

The upper playfield was documented next, and stripped down...

Nearly there...

Topside the same...

The back-box was taken over to the paint shop - where it underwent a complete rework...

You can see here how severe the delamination was of the veneer...

This might look like overkill but the cabinet was re-glued and bradded square in place.
This was left for a while before moving on to the cosmetics...

There were so many missing ply sections many of these were re-glued and clamped with replacement timber...

Structural repairs are complete and cabinet is sealed. It is set aside at this point while we focus on the playfield...

Here is the stripped upper playfield. Its not too bad cosmetically, but the issue is the system11 topcoat.
It is very sensitive to more modern paint finishes, and we have various processes in place here to achieve a clean result...

Playfield has moved through its initial prep and has been cleared. It is ready for colour work and other cosmetics...

White sections always look cracked and tired. We try not to refinish these areas with straight bright white, as it draws attention to the tired surrounding colour. Instead we tone down the
brightness to help present a more consistent appearance...

Colour work is cleared and ready for final sand and polish...

Overview of completed playfield...

With big projects like this, i have a room setup at home to keep things moving where possible.
I decided to rebuild the upper playfield here, and keep it at home until i was ready to install it...

Starting to move through all of the upper playfield components and hardware, starting with rebuilding the wiring harnesses.
Switches are being serviced here...

Most of the mechs are rebuilt for the upper. All components are stripped and the major bracket of each assembly is sent for plating.
All other minor hardware is tumble polished or replaced with a stainless steel alternative...

Closer look at the mechs...

Most of the topside is reinstalled...

Flipper over ready to rewire...

Upper playfield is complete less a few minor pieces, and this will be set aside until required...

Back at work, the lower is brought back out to be stripped...

Playfield topside is stripped, and underside is up next...

Racks of hardware and tired parts...

Here is the stripped playfield, it actually looks quite good. I knew that this was going to be problematic though,
as the mylar had a stronger bond to the artwork than the playfield did :(
It was a case of saying goodbye and getting prepared for a huge playfield restore...

Lower...

Upper section...

You can see here the colour removed in flaking sections...

The damage from the slingshot area speaks for itself. Its basically all gone :(

All of the inserts were stripped as the system11 finish had cracked across all of the lenses, and just was never going to look new...

First stage was to get the playfield sealed and begin the colour work, you can see here all of the white was repainted,
and this involved hand cutting each and every checker on the playfield.

This was tedious, but the result was worth it...

Its a little hard to see, but the masking is a bit more obvious here...

White is refinished. It hurts having to pick off all the mask, only to re-mask for all of the black squares...

Half of the playfield mask removed, even this takes time...

Lower section looking. Better??

Upper area is actually greatly improved but there is still more to address...

I have documented my playfield work quite extensively so i wont go over every colour.
There were many many hours invested in getting a solid result that would actually last another 20 years. Here is the playfield just before receiving the final clear applications...

The playfield is complete and ready to rebuild. A great feeling having both playfields restored and one already rebuilt...

A new lower cabinet was built for the project. The main reason being the delam of the veneer. It was very similar to the top sections of the back-box,
but much bigger sections and not really worth getting into given we have the option of supplying new...

Painted with a slight upgrade over factory where we felt it was required...

The upper cabinet is the reworked original. The cabinet is rebuilt now with refinished components and some new...

Detail of the interior going back together...

All of the lower playfield mechs and associated hardware is tumbled, polished and plated...

Most back together now...

Ready for legs and a two playfields...

Upper playfield is installed, can almost see the finish line now...

Rebuild of the lower playfield in process here...

Flipped over and rebuilding the underside. Nearly ready to install in the cabinet...

Installed...

Game is powered up for the first time in a while. There was very little to correct, which was a nice feeling...

Lower lit up and ready for the apron...

As always, the following photos are of the finished game.

I would also like to send a HUGE THANK-YOU to Nino (Strangeways) at APR (Australian Pinball Restorations).
He very generously replated all of the lower posts and metal hardware. I could not even imagine how long that would take,
and he could've very easily said no. Not only did he plate them beautifully, they were back within a week and were donated to this project.
An absolute legend of a pinball enthusiast, and a true pinball professional. Thank you very much Nino.

This was certainly one of the biggest projects the HRP team has undertaken, and it felt great to talk through all the detail with the client upon collection.

Enjoy the completed photos.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: HRP Banzai Run...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:42:58 AM »
Absolutely amazing! I was lucky enough to have seen this game and the work that has gone into it is just incredible. Fantastic stuff Tim, thanks for sharing some pics and yes I'm jealous of the new owner.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:52:35 AM »

Gosh, that is beautiful! I saw this game when it arrived, and know how much has gone into it - amazing result, must be the best BR on the planet I suspect.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 01:10:42 AM »
Very nice, it's a super fun game and unique, but damn that head box is ugly  %.% so bloody big!
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 03:16:06 AM »
Such a cool game and WOW! Amazing job as usual mate  ^^^

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 05:18:27 AM »
Had your work cut out for you and delivered in spades. Must have taken such a long time to do and the $$ the owner would have thrown at it..hate to think about it!

Brilliant work, wow

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 09:09:10 AM »
Another great job mate mind  blowing the amount of work gone into it especially the checkers on that Playfield  ^&^

Offline pinballheaven

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 11:54:55 AM »
Unbelievable attention to detail Tim! Looks fantastic ^^^

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
I have a Banzai Run I was hoping to restore in the future but now I want you guys to do it because I know I couldn't do as good a job as that.
Very nice, love your work.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 08:56:16 PM »
Very nice, it's a super fun game and unique, but damn that head box is ugly  %.% so bloody big!

I thought the same thing about this style of Headbox but having seen it in the flesh, it looks bloody cool.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »
Goodness me - what a huge undertaking!  I feel your pain with the chequers, often work like this becomes an act of self discipline rather than enjoyment.
The results though speak for themselves and it truly is better than new.
One question though as it wasn't documented... what did you use to recreate the cabinet artwork?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 11:00:48 PM »
HRP/Tims work is the best professional pinball restoration work on the planet bar none.

Nino is a close second and his work is that close, it's like splitting straws.

Australia is extremely lucky to have such dedicated and professional talented people.

Well done Tim. Well done Nino. Legends.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
So it's gone and I didn't even get a game :(

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 11:40:23 PM »
That's Jaw Dropping. Just AMAZING. That playfield restore work is simply stunning.

Well done guys  @@* @@*

Owner must be stoked to have the best Banzai on the planet.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline valentin27

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 09:41:27 AM »
I wish my BR undergoes such a restoration !
Nice job !