Author Topic: 1980's ss coin doors  (Read 928 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
1980's ss coin doors
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:33:14 PM »
quick question as I have disassembled my coin door and the front skin looks pushed in a little. Are these front skins supposed to be flat or a little concave in shape? Don't want to try and pop it out to find it was unnecessary. thanks
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: 1980's ss coin doors
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:46:54 PM »
They are meant to be flat, but many knees over many years have taken their toll...

I suspect that it would be difficult to flatten, but if worst comes to worst, Marco's sell repros.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »
They are meant to be flat, but many knees over many years have taken their toll...

I suspect that it would be difficult to flatten, but if worst comes to worst, Marco's sell repros.

Knees and boots. RTBB used to stock them as well.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 10:15:55 PM »
Checked out rtbb but looks like no go. Might give him a call to make sure. Also I figured it won't be easy if not impossible seeing they are made from kryptonite well stainless steel. Haven't been to the gym in weeks so might give it a little try.

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »
Knees, boots, ...... yup, they took a pounding in the day.  Not usually from someone trying to break in to get the coins, but usually out of frustration.  Me thinks the slam switches got a few closures in the day as well.

Always worth tyring to flatten if possible.  I think you would go the skin replacement only if needed, as they aren't cheap (I think Marco's price was around the $90 mark, from memory).

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 03:42:44 PM »
Knees, boots, ...... yup, they took a pounding in the day.  Not usually from someone trying to break in to get the coins, but usually out of frustration.  Me thinks the slam switches got a few closures in the day as well.

Always worth tyring to flatten if possible.  I think you would go the skin replacement only if needed, as they aren't cheap (I think Marco's price was around the $90 mark, from memory).
doors got only a slight curvature and won't straighten as its like spring steel now. I could try heating but I think it might do as is. Still cleaning so will assess once done. Thanks all the same.

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 04:11:36 PM »
Depending on the severity, if the dent/curve is small enough, you could try automotive putty assuming you'll be painting it, otherwise, if its not too noticeable, i'd just live with it.

I'm currently repairing my coin door and trying to straighten out damage (from people trying to pry open the door) is taking alot of force with a hammer on a steel workbench - dont like your chances of getting it flat.

Thing to note with metal, the more you work it to get it flat, the more the metal "stretches" causing all kinds or warping issues.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »
Depending on the severity, if the dent/curve is small enough, you could try automotive putty assuming you'll be painting it, otherwise, if its not too noticeable, i'd just live with it.

I'm currently repairing my coin door and trying to straighten out damage (from people trying to pry open the door) is taking alot of force with a hammer on a steel workbench - dont like your chances of getting it flat.

Thing to note with metal, the more you work it to get it flat, the more the metal "stretches" causing all kinds or warping issues.
correct that's why heat may help and then cold to shrink it.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 08:01:06 PM »
one very quick question. I have noticed a bolt on both my 1980's games that seems to do nothing. Its located about 70mm from the top left front of cabinet. It doesn't go all the way through like the others that look like it. Those ones hold the coin door metal trim. Firstly whats it for and two how do you remove it? Is it a bolt or nail?

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »
one very quick question. I have noticed a bolt on both my 1980's games that seems to do nothing. Its located about 70mm from the top left front of cabinet. It doesn't go all the way through like the others that look like it. Those ones hold the coin door metal trim. Firstly whats it for and two how do you remove it? Is it a bolt or nail?

Good question Rob, I have one on my Fathom also but it's not on Flash Gordon or Xenon. At first I thought someone had jammed a thumb tack into the cabinet.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »
not a cheap option but a option for those that want to restore their machine

http://thepinwitch.com/gx2/product_info.php/info/p2549_coin-door-front-panel-bally.html

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »

If you had the door on the machine you would see why - it is a nail placed where the coin release button hits the cabinet if the door is opened fully @@*

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »

If you had the door on the machine you would see why - it is a nail placed where the coin release button hits the cabinet if the door is opened fully @@*

Ha Ha, well here's my excuse for not knowing what it does! What's your Rob?  %.%

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:45:05 AM »

Ha Ha, well here's my excuse for not knowing what it does! What's your Rob?  %.%same deal

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
not a cheap option but a option for those that want to restore their machine

http://thepinwitch.com/gx2/product_info.php/info/p2549_coin-door-front-panel-bally.html

That is a ridiculously overpriced door skin at 100 EUR, or equivalent to about $150 AUD.  Marco's isn't cheap either, but at $89 USD it's alot better priced.  http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-3444