Author Topic: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!  (Read 22021 times)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:41:14 PM »
WELL guys, today i left home a 6.30AM to drive down to Port Macquarie, Ian (howzat on here) came along for the drive, then on to Laurieton to pick up my KISS pin that i scored last week #*# #*# #*#

We got there about 11.30AM, and when we tried to power it up and start a game.. well wouldnt you know it... it decided not to work properly, the owner said it worked sometimes after switching it on and off a few times :lol  
anyway i wasnt put off by that at all, especially after i got into the back box and wiggled a few connectors and things started to work. So at that point i switched it off and started to take it apart to load it into the car. so that buggered up Howzats plans of having a game before i packed it up!! oh well he'll just have to come out to Armidale and play it when its done *%* *%*

ended up paying $3000 to get it.. a bit pricey?? well maybe considering the backglass issues (more on that later) but i look at it this way... if its a pin you've been looking for for a LONG time, get it while the getting's good, and KISS is just that.. one i have always said that if one came my way for the right price i'd grab it *%*
Any pin is only worth, imo, what someone is willing to pay for it, and although this one is a pretty tired example of a KISS now.. it'll look good when im done with it.. (I HOPE)  :lol

AND i sold two fender guitars to raise the rest of the money to buy it, something i swore id never do.. but they were guitars i didnt use that much anyway, so they were sold in a good cause!!

Anyway time for a few pics... the cab paint is pretty faded, definitely getting a respray!! and NO hack repairs under the pf, which was a nice change to see. Only one broken drop target. Indeed being my holy grail title it will get the full treatment, to the best of my abilities.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 10:29:24 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: KISS, my holy grail pin is here!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
And here is the part im most concerned about .. the backglass, It has sections on the bottom which the art has lifted away from the glass.. its all there though, and luckily i got it home without anymore damage to it!! Not exactly sure what to do with this yet... im thinking maybe, using a syringe, filled with triple thick or something and squirting it in between the glass and art, then spray some more TT on the backside while its laying flat, then doing the cling wrap trick and holding it down flat with a book/ piece of wood etc while it dries !@# !@# I knew the glass had damage because i could see it in the ebay pics, but i still wanted the game regardless as i reckon it was a once in a lifetime chance for me to own a KISS so i took the chance!!

Im open to any other suggestions if anyone has them!! If i can fix this, im happy to leave the glass as is coz the rest isnt really too bad at all and wont need much work.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 10:52:16 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »
A few pics of the playfield...

very dirty, a few loose inserts, and not too much wear.. and complete with some Paragon bumper caps  :lol

Im definitely looking forward to starting on this!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:14:37 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 10:57:26 PM »
some of the wear spots... not too much luckily, shouldnt be too hard to fix up.. It has mylar on it that will have to be removed.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »
Congrats on getting one of your 'grail' pins Mitch . Really looking forward to watching your progress to fix this old girl up to your high standard  *%*
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
And here is the pf after a VERY quick clean with Nifti and a cloth, just to get an idea how much work would be needed, to get it up to scratch.

I'll add some more pics tomorrow night, of the boards etc, ive moved the game into my spare room so i can start on getting it up and running properly, lots of connectors to repin, and i had to cut some wires where they had been soldered to the pin headers in the power supply in order to remove the backbox  ^&^

This game, is also the VERY SAME one of two KISS machines i used to play years ago.. played it a couple of times in the Laurieton amusement centre, and is the VERY SAME game i missed out on all those years ago, that i mentioned when i did my sunday questionaire!!!! The guy i bought it from was the guy who beat me to it :lol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:13:22 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 11:03:43 PM »
Congrats on your grail mate  ^^^

Bugger about the backglass.  I think you'll be able to improve it.  Just not sure that even the best tricks in the book will get it looking "great".  Love to be proven wrong on that though  ()

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 11:08:03 PM »
Congrats on your grail mate  ^^^

Bugger about the backglass.  I think you'll be able to improve it.  Just not sure that even the best tricks in the book will get it looking "great".  Love to be proven wrong on that though  ()

well it'll never look GREAT no matter what i do with it.. but if i can make it look half decent il be happy. Dont much like my chances of finding a better one in too big of a hurry !!!

The rest shouldnt present too many problems though, hopefully!!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:11:18 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 11:16:15 PM »
Good luck to you for getting this pin - we can hear the enthusiasm in your post!

It'll be great to watch you work on it.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 11:17:04 PM »

well it'll never look GREAT no matter what i do with it.. but if i can make it look half decent il be happy. Dont much like my chances of finding a better one in too big of a hurry !!!

The rest shouldnt present too many problems though, hopefully!!

Yeah as you mentioned, it's all there, so that is a bonus from the start.

I think you're on the right track with the TT/cling wrap.  It'll look 100% better and of course stop it from getting worse.

Looking forward to seeing the results :)

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 11:29:52 PM »
Good luck to you for getting this pin - we can hear the enthusiasm in your post!

It'll be great to watch you work on it.

Mate.. im just stoked that i was able to get the game.. you wouldnt believe the trouble i went through, trying to raise the rest of the money to get it.. i had already given the guy a deposit through the week and he removed it from ebay... i wont go into the hassles i had raising the money but i thought i was going to miss out at one point.. in the end i sold off two Fender guitars (a Strat and a Tele for the muso's out there) on friday morning to get the rest of the money i needed.

Im now down to six strats and one tele, so i shouldnt miss the two guitars i sold too bad *.* *.*
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:25:38 PM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline yourdreamin

• Forum Posts:
  • barrack point
  • how much are your askin
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »
great pick up, did you get a chance to see if he had those other parts for haunted house?

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 11:37:04 PM »
great pick up, did you get a chance to see if he had those other parts for haunted house?

Yes i did remember to ask him for those parts but he said he didnt have anything for HH

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:40:12 PM »
Well done just the history you spoke about-after all these years you purchased "THE" machine you played as a kid now that's fantastic. Mate I'll be hanging to see more pictures and can't wait for the resto thread.

Peter

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:13:23 AM »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !