Author Topic: Strange Science has a new home  (Read 613 times)

Offline Gruntis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong, NSW
Strange Science has a new home
« on: February 01, 2015, 08:12:49 PM »
Gotta love new pin day  ^^^

If you visited Nino's over the weekend and wondered where that Strange Science has gone well wonder no longer, its at my place  $#$
Been tempted by this pin ever since I saw it on the sales forum back in July '13 and procrastinated over it enough. Glad I got it, what a great machine. Had the mates over and boy did it get a good workout. For a reasonably simple pin, it's sure a lot of fun. Thanks again Nino (and Greg) for making this game available.

Can't get my kid off it, he loves it which for me is a good thing as I was wanting to get him more into pins.

Just starting to add a few personal touches, starting with new coin mech decals i made up. I think it gives the game a little more character, not that it's lacking in character - if you've played it you'll know what I mean.

Just a side note to anyone else who has one, if your backbox doesn't light up but only flash (my eyes are still recovering), check the J1 and J2 connectors on the solid state relay board for the topper and globe. If you swap them around the back box will light up like it is meant to. By doing this though the topper will only light up during the game and attract sequences, not on all the time like it would have before. The flashing isn't as bad when its wired this way, but I do miss the neon topper being all most of the time. Worked this out from a video from TNT, glad he goes over the back box all the time.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:19:14 PM by Gruntis »

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Strange Science has a new home
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »
Whats the transformer for the neon?? If 240V then you can hook it up straight from mains supply

Offline Gruntis

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »
Whats the transformer for the neon?? If 240V then you can hook it up straight from mains supply

I think it's 110v but not sure. I think though now that I've had it with the neon only on at certain times, I prefer it that way. It's activation seems to be more reactive to whats going on in the game.
You got your custom neon made for your Strange Science yet? Nino mentioned you had plans.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 09:41:18 PM »
ha ha!! The game is still with Nino.. im in no hurry for it to get here until the 2nd shed is built. I have a layout for the neon but not sure if its correct or not till I have the game.
I like the clear tube with the neon gas inside but ill probably make mine as what we refer to as a "crackle" tube.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 10:11:43 PM »
Very nice, well done with the new pin. Never played one but it looks like it'd be a good game.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 11:28:58 PM »

I think it's 110v but not sure. I think though now that I've had it with the neon only on at certain times, I prefer it that way. It's activation seems to be more reactive to whats going on in the game.
You got your custom neon made for your Strange Science yet? Nino mentioned you had plans.

It is 110V - it was a replacement that Gav found for me via eBay. Much better than the original. The original was much larger and noisy.

glad you like the game  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:04:28 AM »
Congrats on the new pinday  ^^^

Offline Ant

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:19:49 AM »
Nice pin ^^^
It looks like it was a weekend to get pins *%*
Looking for The Simpsons Pinball Party and Dungeons and Dragons.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:38:52 PM »
I had good, long hard think about it too. Lucky for you the stars didn't align for me during this time. Well done mate, I think the whole family will enjoy this title  ^^^ 
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:01:11 PM »

Great pick up. I played this at Greg's long ago and really liked it.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Hammo

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 09:09:59 PM »
It was a great night, I think the challenging ball lock really keeps you wanting another game.

Offline plong

• Forum Posts:
  • Castlemaine Vic
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 09:28:12 PM »
Aargh looked at this last year at Nino's but had to have shoulder surgery and off work for 4 months. A
Guy saw my pins Friday and wanted 1, agreed on a price today,so I said ok only if Niño still had Strange Science. Looks like your the only winner and saved me a phone call tomorrow. Fascinating game and in great nick enjoy .

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »
Nice pin  ^^^
great pickup
it the best feeling getting a new pin  $#$