Author Topic: Williams Whirlwind Problem  (Read 427 times)

Offline poxbox3030

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Williams Whirlwind Problem
« on: April 14, 2011, 08:43:31 PM »
Hello there $.$,

I've recently acquired a Williams Whirlwind machine as a 30th birthday present. It has been playing great up until i switched it on today to get "PINBALL MISSING" on the screen.

I have little technical know how of anything electrical, but i managed to get into the test menu using a PDF copy of the manual.

From what i can work out so far, with all 3 pinball's in the bottom area it's showing the first two switches are active (Ball Trough #1/Ball Trough #2) but nothing for the 3rd ball.

Could this simply be a dead switch?? If i manage to launch a ball, once it falls through the flippers it wont shoot back into the trough, and the score wont tally.

I hope someone here can assist. If not i'll be looking to pay someone to come out to fix it. Can anyone recommend any trustworthy repair places in the Adelaide Metro Area??

Thank you all in advance for your assistance  <..>

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Williams Whirlwind Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:46:41 PM »
Yes, it could well be as simple as a switch that is not adjusted correctly - maybe it doesn't even need replacing!

It will be well worth your while to become 'close' to the machine and what makes it tick as you are very likely to have more issues down the track and it's a bit silly to call someone around (probably for >$100 each time) when you could probably learn how to fix most problems yourself.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:21:37 PM »
Yes, it could well be as simple as a switch that is not adjusted correctly - maybe it doesn't even need replacing!

It will be well worth your while to become 'close' to the machine and what makes it tick as you are very likely to have more issues down the track and it's a bit silly to call someone around (probably for >$100 each time) when you could probably learn how to fix most problems yourself.

+1

Should be a simple fix - Adjust the switch and you should be fine. Check that there is no loose wire on that switch as well.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »

+1

Should be a simple fix - Adjust the switch and you should be fine. Check that there is no loose wire on that switch as well.

Or a dry joint - it's amazing how many things on a pinball machine you can fix by resoldering!

Offline poxbox3030

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:31:53 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

I definatly want to avoid paying someone to come out if i can.

I have checked to see if all it needed was adjusting but that didn't fix the problem.

I guess i should try to find my soldering iron and try re soldering the connections. If that doesn't work then im guessing the switch is gone.

Whats the best place to get replacement parts? I've browsed a few websites but would prefer a recommendation from the members here for a site or store that is trustworthy and can supply the right part.

Sorry for all the questions. I really wanna get this right as the machine was a gift and i cant afford to make a mistake (My Nanna would kill me!)  &^&

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 01:05:21 AM »
You can test the switch with a multimeter if you have one?

Try Greg at RTBB for a replacement switch if required. http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6209.0
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 01:07:47 AM by Steevsee »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »

Try Greg at RTBB for a replacement switch if required. http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6209.0

+ 1 Greg will most likely have the part.

I have the manual in front of me and the part number is 5647-09957-00

Problem is that Greg does not have it one his site - but shoot him an email and he might have it antway.

I'd check that the switch is working first (with a multimeter).
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »
if there is a diode on the switch make sure one of the legs are not broken
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline poxbox3030

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »
Will look round the shops for a multimeter tomorrow. Any idea what i should set it to to test the switch? (Never used a multimeter before)

Ill also try to resolider the wiring once i dig out my solidering iron. (We just moved recently so alot of stuff is in boxes.)

I will also email about the switch as suggested.

Thanks heaps to everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated  *%*

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 07:04:45 PM »
Use the continuity/resistance (ohms) setting to test the switch.

Also be a good idea to get a meter with diode test function if possible.

If you need more specific, step by step help with testing, don't hesitate to ask.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:41:38 PM »
If you do need to replace the switch, this looks like the same part.
Available from http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_209_159&products_id=2724
or http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/index.php?crn=214&rn=905&action=show_detail

Not 100% sure it will fit but certainly looks like it.

Edit:- Confirmed same by Greg (RTBB). Thanks Greg ^^^
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:58:28 PM by Steevsee »

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:34 PM »

+ 1 Greg will most likely have the part.

I have the manual in front of me and the part number is 5647-09957-00

Problem is that Greg does not have it one his site - but shoot him an email and he might have it antway.

I'd check that the switch is working first (with a multimeter).

same switch

*Data East/Sega/Stern reference #180-5009-00
or
Williams/Bally reference #5647-09957-00.

Offline poxbox3030

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »
Hello again all,

Update:

First up, BIG thankyou  ^^^ to Steevsee, who has been giving me additional assistance via PM. His help has been invaluable.

I purchased a snazzy digital multimeter for a great price from Jaycar and tested the switch and diode. The switch seemed fine but i couldnt get a reading off the diode.

Another trip to Jaycar today and bought replacement diode (And treated myself to a Gas powered soldering iron too - got to love cordless). After installing the diode i found i still had the problem (I'd obviously not checked the diode properly, after removal another check found it to be in working order).

I bit the bullet and rung Amusement Worx here in Adelaide for a quote on repairs. Surprisingly i was put through to their technician who offered me assistance over the phone. After explaining everything i had done he got me to check the switch matrix in the manual, then test all the switches in each column and row related to the problem switch in the trough.

Low and behold, a related switch in a bumper further up the machine appears to be dead. I've shot an email to Greg (RTBB) to see if he has the switch. With any luck i'll still be able to fix it myself and be back playing real soon.

If not, i can call Amusement Worx back and they will sort it out for me.

I want to thank everyone for their help on this thread. It's greatly appreciated from a novice pinnie  *%*

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:07 PM »
I would also be checking for a broken wire on the other switch that is showing up as dead. and the other switches on the same circuit. if you have a broken wire off one switch (depending on which wire it is) it will stop all the other switches (after that switch) working
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)