Author Topic: Insert LED's (coloured or white)  (Read 1110 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Insert LED's (coloured or white)
« on: November 15, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Hi guys,

A while ago I did a full fitout of all playfield inserts with corresponding colour LED's on my T2.  To this day it is still the best thing I've spent money (other than essential repairs) on my collection.  It would not really suit my D.E Simpsons so that is staying as is, however the LAH is just screaming for it.  I had bought some extra coloured LED's from RTBB which I had left over in the backbox of the T2.  I've swapped them into the LAH and so far so good.  The whites by far are the best, as they are really bright and sharp.  I've put some greens in which look fantastic too.  Previously on the T2, the reds / yellows did not really make much difference by going LED.  I've played around today by putting some white under the red inserts and they do seem a little better.
I am wondering if anyone else out there has done this, or found something better with colours etc...

Secondly, I'm a big fan of the flasher (bulb variety!)....I have not tried the LED flasher mainly due to cost....I'm thinking about putting some red / blue ones in the topper on LAH...I want a flasher that will blind you...so the brighter the better...But again if the LED flasher is the way to go, should I stick with white or go with coloured?

Regards

Marty

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Re: Insert LED's (coloured or white)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:44:22 PM »
Not all LED's are the same brightness, when ordering you need to know that the lumen output of all the colours is the same. Also a 1W white will be brighter than a 200ma red etc etc etc

It depends on what effect you are after also - the white LED's are PURE white - anything incandescent inc neon and Flouro is white from heat or phosphour powder and as such is a yellow/white colour.
This is why the white LED's look much sharper and have a slight blue tint to them.

Putting coloured LED's into a coloured plastic will give a deeper and richer look, but not necessarily brighter.
if you put white into these then it will be brighter but the colours will not be so deep as the white will thin it out somewhat.

So long as you have the power capacity, then you could put a 1/2W coloured in somewhere against a standard 350ma white

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 07:59:04 PM »
Not all LED's are the same brightness, when ordering you need to know that the lumen output of all the colours is the same. Also a 1W white will be brighter than a 200ma red etc etc etc

It depends on what effect you are after also - the white LED's are PURE white - anything incandescent inc neon and Flouro is white from heat or phosphour powder and as such is a yellow/white colour.
This is why the white LED's look much sharper and have a slight blue tint to them.

Putting coloured LED's into a coloured plastic will give a deeper and richer look, but not necessarily brighter.
if you put white into these then it will be brighter but the colours will not be so deep as the white will thin it out somewhat.

So long as you have the power capacity, then you could put a 1/2W coloured in somewhere against a standard 350ma white

Hi Retopin,

I'm not at the stage where I would have the skills to be able to make my own...I've just been buying the ones from Greg...which I am very happy with.  I guess I am after a richer colour, and I really really noticed the difference on the whites (love the LED), blues, greens but if I had a red LED next to a normal red insert with a #555 there was not a great deal of difference...I think the existing brightness of Greg's ones is perfect, bright enough but not enough to distract you too much...The ones I've dropped into LAH thus far are awesome.

I would be interested on your thoughts re flashers.  Those I'm happy to be blinded with!

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
HI Marty

I no what you mean Marty, as i did my Adams and spider and they look good.White,green,and blue seems to stand out the best.Haven't tried any flashing bulbs yet, but if there half as good as the led i be getting some.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:15:19 PM »
I dont know about the flashing type - do you have a link for them??

Im assuming that the standard LED's have a delay on lighting up due to the series resistor on them. Flashers would have to negate this.

I have access to a whole host of LED's in my line of business - might be worth seeing if i can come up with something

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 12:21:49 PM »
I dont know about the flashing type - do you have a link for them??

Im assuming that the standard LED's have a delay on lighting up due to the series resistor on them. Flashers would have to negate this.

I have access to a whole host of LED's in my line of business - might be worth seeing if i can come up with something

These are the ones I was looking at from RTBB  (#89's).  I don't have specs for them but if they are brighter and sharper than the existing #89's then I will give them a go (just on topper to start with)

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_119_121

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 01:33:48 PM »
A 9 LED array???

Id say it would kick arse!

Worth buying a couple to check em out

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »
A 9 LED array???

Id say it would kick arse!

Worth buying a couple to check em out

I've ordered 4 white flashers from Greg...I'll drop them into the header - std #89, LED, std #89 LED, each side...  That should give me a good indication if there is much difference....Will update Wed / Thurs when received...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:11:28 PM by MartyJ »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:19:27 AM »
Marty - do you have a vid camera? Love to see the LEDs on the T2 in action??? 
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
Only on the digital camera.  Will give it a go tonight for you!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »

Hmm.. Might have to grab some for the CV.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
Only on the digital camera.  Will give it a go tonight for you!

Thanks MartyJ! Do you have a youtube account you can post it to?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »
I've just taken a video (with the boss playing!).....Thankfully she hit the target from the cannon on her first go!

The machine now only has PF insert LED's in....ALL are done, including the #44's as well.  The backglass LED's were donated to the LAH so will be replaced finances permitting...
The skull eyes are only running red LED's without the bulb covers.  I think it is a much more stealth look and look great when lit up.  The video is not great quality, but hopefully you can see the whites, blues and greens really popping!

It improved my T2 by 100%.  I know it will rock in the LAH.  They are only the #555's, #906's and #47's from RTBB...I looked at a kit from Abert (pinball-led's) which were great but a bit pricey to import...

The lights were on too, just as if you were playing with it...

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=YN79UGMrzZk

(its a 25mb file but for some reason Youtube only playing 1 sec of it??)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:03:50 PM by MartyJ »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »
Must have been a hiccup in the upload - not quite enough there to judge those LEDs by!  :D

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 07:31:51 PM »

Marty have you seen the mod done to the hunter ship by pinbit,not to bad and should look good.
http://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_41&zenid=ee62b478a48a33c637c8f4c97592cc8d
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields