Author Topic: Watch this space for photos....  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: Watch this space for photos....
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 01:20:30 AM »
Very entertaining thread Wotto.  Definitely the right time to be there with the dollar being so strong.  Is everything pretty cheap over there compared to Aus. or just some stuff?

Food is way similar in cost - for our family of 4 lunches are around $30-$40 total - dinners can be from $50- $120 total, remembering too that we are in total tourist trap towns.

Clothes and shoes - about half price - Mrs got 3 sets of Levis the other day,  a full jean, half jean and shorts - total $80.00  @@*
The Converse shoes we pay $100+ for - were $40.00
My daughter bought a hair straightener yesterday she had wanted for ages ( ceramic and $300 in Oz ) we got it for $110.00

DW Drums rule !

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 05:16:29 AM »

Finally...

Now that looks more like home.
I started thinking you thought you were in USA, but somehow got redirected somewhere else and the tour guide was lying to you.

The streets in LA appear to be less full of potholes and gashes than here in Kansas City. And the paint lines are still visible too. No wonder California is broke.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:27:24 AM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
Off to Vegas we go !

This is VERY strange at first and quite daunting in the city area's to be honest  :D

The drive to Vegas is freeway all the way  - took us 3.5 hours from Anaheim -take a look at the view............

It is like this the ENTIRE way - very very bland.
This straight is approx 28kms long.

Get to Vegas around Midday and what do we do - something quite unique - go to Macca's  @.@

And then the ladies decide to do something a little different as well.....WTF have I bred ?

There was this smoking cool shop with memorabilia - it was VERY expensive - they had one of Evil Knievels bikes for $150,000 - they didnt allow any images but I snuck this one from outside.
Nino - I told them I was here working for my 'buyer' - so I offered $20,000 US dollars and gave them your details so they will be contacting you shortly  :lol :lol :lol

Finally found a shirt I will buy I think.

It is just coming on dusk here and we will be out all night ( buying f*cking shoes I guess? )

Hopefully some nice night shots coming soon

Wotto
DW Drums rule !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
Hey Wotto, great post  ^^^
I have been to the USA a number of times, and everytime, it gets better. Everything in Australia is double the price pro-rata, everything. But we are so far away and only 25 million people compared to the USA with 300 million. We do well for such a small number of Aussies really.

Wotto, u would know this by now, but when you are in all different parts of America, you always feel that there is something missing, when u are in most areas, and it drives u nuts until u come home, then it hits you, TREES AND GREEN GRASS, thats what is missing from most of the American landscape. Not much is green at all unless u hit a country area ! When i was in LA last it was driving me nuts til i got home, and i remembered just how green Australia is.

I hope you are having a blast mate cause we are all really enjoying your photos and the top notch effort of posting your fun trip. Thanks again.  ^^^ ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:31:54 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
You must be dreaming shoes :lol How are you finding driving around?

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »
Hi Wotto,

Will you be going to the Pacific Pinball museum in San Francisco?

http://pacificpinball.org/home

Offline Prince

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 03:07:13 PM »
Just read your thread in the morning for the first time Wotto - enjoy the family trip.
W.Clarke Griswolds national Aussie style vacation!!

Thank god you manage to stay away the Skid Row of LA - being there and done that.
Yep, the food servings are BIG, the orange juice in USA is the best and endless amount of cheap warehouse shops for the ladies.
Make sure you visit Farmers Market (West Hollywood) on the way back.

Now for Vegas.....the Elvis tunes are going to do your head in!! Take the family to one of the Bellagio's buffet eateries (a must - great food). Go and suss out the Flamingo pool (one of the best around - have a Bud Light beer for me there) and take the girls to the Wynn (they love you forever once they try on a couple of Manolo Blahnik shoes - Sex in the City style).

Looking forward to reading more from ya.

SC.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:15:03 PM by Prince »
SC.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »

Oh YEAAAAAAAHHHHH !

Jason Newsted paid $18,000 for his bass years ago, so it would be a good buy for $20,000 with the AUS$ being so good. When you pack it in your suitcase, please apologise to the wife, as you turf her shoes to fit my bass  @@^

I'd spend hours in that shop.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 06:51:41 PM »
So its 1am - we get back to the room- stuffed.

Is it busy here I hear you all asking.........hmmmmm ...... a little.
We walked about 5 km's in crowds like this  - oh goody.

We HAD to escape - I saw a sign for a Mexican restraunt and we went in to get away from the crowds............and...........well............

Yep - they were ALL lining up for Burritto's - and that line NEVER stopped the whole time we were in there. I am still blown away by the hunger , the non stop at anytime of day hunger for food here......we got back to the Luxor tonight after midnight and thought we would grab a quick coffee in the cafe......there was a 30+ person queue

And oh so close boys - but no cigar.
Note - drunk freak in picture

Hadnt seen one of these before - but then I remembered that we do have one ....in Melbourne.

Saw this - thought 'cool'

Then looked again and saw the man himself !

Thirsty - how about a 4 litre chugger for the road then hey.

I will finish with some standard obligatory Vegas shots that I took - that I liked the look of....

We are staying here.....

DW Drums rule !

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »
Oh and to answer / reply to some things asked in this thread already......

PPM in SFP - This trip wont include SFO.
We are heading back for a week in late September for PPE ( come on Nino !! )

Orange Juice is the most ULTIMATE I have ever tasted.

Farmers Market - was there yesterday for a few hours.

Six Flags Magic Mountain - will be there next Tuesday, a few days before we fly home - already have tickets.

Cheers
A tired Wotto
DW Drums rule !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »
Wotto, is there any specific reason as to why there are so many people crowded into the street all at once.

Is it because there is a Festival or Special weekend or some sort of major planned event happening, or is that just a normal night ?  !@#

I HATE CROWDS. But the trip looks amazing !
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 09:01:12 PM »
Loving it mate...... give me more shots of the awesome signage... is so good to see this stuff on a grand scale....LOVE the BALLY signage - how i wish i had that in my porfolio.

Sod those bloody crowds though

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2011, 12:34:17 AM »
Great photos of Vegas. Fantastic place that always changes. Both times I've been there it has been very busy but don't recall it being as busy as that crowd shot you posted. Keep the updates coming Wotto, they are great ^^^

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2011, 07:36:55 AM »
Great photo's and comments.Thanks for taking the time to do all this.What a great thead to watch and read.What a dedicated husband to do all that shoe shopping with the girls.Keep up the pace on your hol's it's great viewing,thanks for sharing. @@* @@* @@*

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys - I am trying to keep you all entertained as well as maybe inspire people to holiday here.
Also trying to put some nice shots up , I got a Canon EOS550 beofre leaving and I am pretty happy with it so far.

Today we headed out to Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.
This is our rental by the way - I have to say it drives VERY VERY nicely - VERY smooth and quiet....

Here I am , hopefully looking a LOT more comfortable behond the wheel than the other day....

Well it is either shoes or dunnies !!!
Who brang these two?

Arrrrrrrrrr -still lovers after all these years.
I am such an old romantic
Lake Mead in the background - nothing here by the way.
Cool looking area but and the GREATEST thing was this was the FIRST TIME this holiday where there were ZERO people or crowds.

Actually , a few miles down the road there is Las Vegas Boat Harbour.
Not much here unless you have a boat.

I asked if these guys had the time - rude bastards didnt even answer me

There were these MASSIVE fish hanging around the marina - if you had food, you could feed them, here are some americans feeding the fish a traditional fish delight that they really enjoy.............popcorn

And here is one of many shots I took at Hoover Dam.
We soon found the crowds again - this place was packed , not like The Strip but fairly busy and HARD to park - the big bridge is a new highway we will go over en-route to the Canyon in a few days - the road systems here are simply OUTSTANDING, including the condition of the roads - NO potholes.

Off into Vegas night again shortly boys - another difficult night ahead - might ride the coaster outside New York New York later tonight
Hope you are all having fun at your jobs.
Its a tough few weeks for me here  #@#

Gav - I will try and get more cool Neons for you too  ^^^
DW Drums rule !