Author Topic: LEDs are sweet  (Read 5947 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: LEDs are sweet
« on: November 28, 2009, 12:54:32 AM »
Beaky yes the one sitting on the pliers is my own work. I take the bulb holder out of the board, and solder in a ultra-bright LED with a resistor onto it.
This tells the story:
I love LEDs in pins, but my wallet wont stretch to buy enough that I want. So after seeing the results like others get I decided to make my own, well my own way of easily installing them. Once I got the resistors onto them, came the question of how to mount. I know soldering straight to the pcb would make sense, but I dont want to wreck my lamp pcbs.

This was proto-type no1 (snapped-off bottom of a 555 incandescent bulb). Feel free to laugh, but it did work, just not very well lol

Then decided to solder them into the lamp holder sockets. With a bit of mucking around I reckon I have got it rite, and am happy with the results. Putting the white sleeve (just 4 core wire covering) was my best innovation lol Easy enough to mount them this way, I will not wreck my pcbs, and easy to de-solder should the leds fail. Oh I found the easy way to get the polarity rite was to solder the long leg (resistor mounted one) to the side of the socket marked with a "-" on it. I found I can get 2 LEDs easily enough in the one socket for larger inserts.

DIY LEDs at 20 to 40 cents each.
:cool:

LED resistor calculator: http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz