Author Topic: Sound board query  (Read 245 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Sound board query
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:14:52 PM »
I am trying to make a line out  for my Black Rose to run a set of powered computer speakers to see how they go.  From pinrepair

Line-Out.
The pre-DCS A-12738 has "line out", through connector J509. This is a tap into the mixed analog signal (from all three sound generating devices) before it going to the volume control and final output amplifier circuits. Connector J509 pin 1 is the Analog ground, and J509 pin 3 is the Analog sound out.

Unfortunately a bit more needs to be done then just tapping into connector J509 to get a usable "line out". On pre-DCS games on the component side of the sound board, lift resistor R102 on the side which connects to pin 3 of J509. On the back of the sound board, connect a jumper wire between the negative side of capacitor C21 and the plated-thru hole left of resistor R102 (which connects to pin 1 of J509). This will give a functional line-out at J509 with the pins indicated above. The line-out you get from this modification is a fixed level and does not get changed by the volume control.

I'm a little confused - does this say to;

1. Lift up one end (that connects to pin 3 of J509) of R102 and leave it hanging in mid air? (would this be in case you want to put it back to original?)
2. Jump  -ve side of C21 to ground (pin1 of J509) - i can't see any plated through hole left of R102 he is referring to.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sound board query
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »
A little confusing, i agree.

I have the manual but it doesnt have a detailed schematic of the Audio board, so i can't offer an alternative mod.

I'm confused why he states J509 is line out, but you need to mod it to make it line out? what the ????

MM

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »
I ended up grabbing a $2.50 3.5mm audio jack from jaycar and used the cabinet speaker wires to it, then plugged the external computer speakers in.

Works a treat and sound quality is increased very dramatically (particularly since there is a small sub with the computer speakers)

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »
So - your using the speaker outputs to drive the line in of the computer speakers? (assuming they are amplified?)
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Marty Machine

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »
I think your computer speakers are simply 'speakers' and not amplified/line in etc, otherwise your PC speakers would be VERY distorted.

Feeding a speaker output (several VOLTS) into a line-in socket (100-200 MILLI volts) would be a big no-no.

MM.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »
Yes - i am using the speaker outputs to drive the line in of the computer speakers.

I always assumed they would be amplified (being powered), they are Logitech X-230 speakers, but i also thought they would distort - but it is not the case.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
You can buy a Speaker out put to RCA converter which will bring your speaker output back to Line level which would be a lot safer.  Check out auto barn and places like that

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »
Yes - i am using the speaker outputs to drive the line in of the computer speakers.

I always assumed they would be amplified (being powered), they are Logitech X-230 speakers, but i also thought they would distort - but it is not the case.

Fair enough, I asked for the reasons Marty has already outlined... If it's stupid and it works - it isn't very stupid is it? :)
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...