Author Topic: New member  (Read 3016 times)

pinballist

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New member
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
G'day Rotty,

You're definitely in the right place.  I also like some of those themed tables but yeah they're not cheap.

I'm probably the last person to give any advice here but the best way to get into collecting if you're short on funds is to get a cheap solid state that needs a bit of work (in an area where you're capable of doing the actual work yourself) otherwise you'll end up overcapitalising on it - especially if the machine has little sentimental value to you personally.

Beware of those half-working ones on e-bay, a lot of the punters who bid on those don't know any better and end up pushing the prices beyond what it would cost to buy a professionally reconditioned one.

Welcome aboard mate :)

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 07:58:02 PM »
Keep an eye on eBay your sure to find one of the machines your looking for soon.  Mark C sells a lot on eBay so you could be lucky and pick up one of his for a bargin price.  Just ask Daniel (DD Toys) about his eBay bargin from Mark  ^.^  Thats me cause I missed out
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 08:13:54 PM »
Keep an eye on eBay your sure to find one of the machines your looking for soon.  Mark C sells a lot on eBay so you could be lucky and pick up one of his for a bargin price.  Just ask Daniel (DD Toys) about his eBay bargin from Mark  ^.^  Thats me cause I missed out

i got one going on for you soon ....  blue i think ....

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »

i got one going on for you soon ....  blue i think ....

Could it be... T....W...
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 09:11:51 PM »
Thanks all.

I will be checking out MarkC's ebay site. He already has about 50 odd listed.

He seems to have a good reputation on here so i may end up buying my first pinball through
him.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 10:42:31 PM »
Id avoid bidding on his cheap starting items they can be a bit dodgy and if you bid i wont win them for next to nothing lol.   
 That was a joke by the way Marks always 100% honest in his adds and is always easy to deal with if its crap he says its crap

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »
Id avoid bidding on his cheap starting items they can be a bit dodgy and if you bid i wont win them for next to nothing lol.   
 That was a joke by the way Marks always 100% honest in his adds and is always easy to deal with if its crap he says its crap

That's good to know.

I didn't think those type of people existed anymore. I'll be watching his Ebay listing over the next few days, see
if there's anything suitable.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 01:09:45 AM »
It really does depend on your budget and what sort of condition pin you are looking for.

Most pinball machines from a dealer have been fully shopped, with many man-hours going in to cleaning the playfield, plastics and posts, replacing all the rubbers, fixing up any problems with coils, boards, displays and so on. Obviously they have to pay their staff, so you will pay a premium to a dealer.

If you are lower in dollars than you will need to look at pin where you can do some or all of that work yourself. You may still have to pay for spare parts so keep that in mind - ideally you want something that is mostly working and where the playfield is not too beat up.

As pinballist said, you may be better off going for an earlier solid state machine on the cheap for now, do it up and sell it off - if you do that two or three times you will probably find that you can then afford one of the titles you are more interested in.

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 08:31:46 PM »
I'll follow up in the coming week what i have ended up buying. None of the titles i had in mind either.
I could just about say i'm a pinball owner now.  *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 08:56:36 PM »
I'll follow up in the coming week what i have ended up buying. None of the titles i had in mind either.
I could just about say i'm a pinball owner now.  *%*

Great News - Post pics when the pin arrives !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2009, 09:25:56 PM »
Congratulations - now I am really curious as to what you scored.

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 11:49:05 AM »
Hi Rottyguy and  %)%.

Yep , lots of knowlegdable guys ( & girl ) here.

Good luck with the first pin.

Yes Mark does have a good reputation here but not for his coffee making skills though :lol

Chris

Offline RottyGuy

• Forum Posts:
  • QLD
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 11:44:20 PM »
I'll wait until it turns up before i say anything else. Hopefully in one piece. Although i may have
another soon. Nothing special really, just two lower end pinballs.

I'm looking forward to it.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 12:28:51 AM »
I'll wait until it turns up before i say anything else. Hopefully in one piece. Although i may have
another soon. Nothing special really, just two lower end pinballs.

I'm looking forward to it.

Two lower end machines can be a good way to start as it is easier on the pocket, plus it gives you some variety and also something to play when one needs fixing, as will inevitably happen.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »

hey mate

sorry about the T2  but it wasnt good enough , as I said it has some insert problems  ,  I would rather someone see it first than sell it over the phone
dont worry I have another due in soon

mark