Author Topic: Gottlieb Genie Restore  (Read 960 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Genie Restore
« on: September 05, 2009, 11:38:42 PM »

Time to tackle the playfield - Top and bottom. With all restores I do, all the moving parts are stripped and cleaned. No shortcuts and as a result, it can be tedious - but in the end, you know you have "snappy" flippers, bumpers, slings and drop targets.

The Drop Target banks were completely rebuilt and even polished. New targets with mylar covering them will last for another 20 years. A couple hours of work will give you these results ;

Flipper Rebuild kits were ordered and installed - Three kits in total. The pawls are the only part retained for the 3 inch flippers. They have gone through the tumbler and the new plunger and links are installed.

Lower flipper kits installed - with new coils. The old coils were the incorrect type. Notice the additional set of contacts for the top flippers. These have to be ordered separately from the kits and they will need adjustment to work 100%

Upper Flipper kits are custom. The kits are basically the standard EM kits for AC coils - The EM kit flipper kit. The coil stops are the DC stops. You need to tell PBR that you intend to use the kit for the Genie machine so they can add the correct stops.

All the moving parts are rebuilt. New coil stops and coils, where required. The wiring loom is cleaned up a little and any potential problems are sorted out now - as this playfield is VERY heavy.

The topside of the playfield - We agreed that the playfield should have the mylar intact. It was in GREAT condition, and the risks of removal were far too great. The was no wear other than the ball arch. I did however, tidy up the mylar by using an exacto knife to trim the edges and shellite to clean up the adhesive. I was VERY pleased with the results.

Reassembly

How much fun was this ? ALL the parts were basically new - so every step of this process was great fun. The colors on this playfield are simply awesome. It didn't take too long to reassemble.

All coming together nicely !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia