Author Topic: Gottlieb Genie Restore  (Read 964 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Gottlieb Genie Restore
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »
Looks awesome Nino.  A1 as always.

I was watching Blades of Glory the other night - with a bit of Chaz Michael Michaels action and I'm 99.9% sure I saw a Genie in the back of the factory they were skating in....

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »

Ahh yes, that magic wear spot that is evident on almost all Genie machines I've seen !

I bought mine from the states - from the same place Paul did - I believe his name is David Shulpius ? Top quality replacement for this type of work - for those of us that cannot do touch up work !

Now this playfield had very good mylar still intact - it was not removed. For this section, I remove some of the mylar carefully. Enough so I can place the decal over the area FLAT. The area is sanded flat and cleaned - so here is where we start ;

Here is the only picture I have of the decal - Not a very good one, but you can see the outline faintly.

Here is the decal in position. It was a little bit out - but hardly noticeable. I placed a sheet of mylar over the top of the decal, right on the edge of the existing mylar. This created a level. It was hard to cut and position - and you only have one take at doing this ! Luckily, it worked out well for me and you cannot tell that there is a decal and mylar over the top.

Finished result - More then pleased with the results !

Here's some photos of the playfeld. Notice the spot targets are missing ? I have not installed them as yet, as I needed to borrow a rivet press to place the new target faces. MarkC leant me his !

Pascal PI-X4 All in One Board

This arrived very early on in the project. All pins were replaced - Thats ALL OF THEM ! The time I spent doing this was of great benefit. The machine has worked "trouble free" since I delivered it !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »
Pins are a real nightmare but as mentioned once its done there should ne no problems for a long time *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 11:12:29 PM »

Playfield is done and dropped into the main cabinet - Boy was it HEAVY. Thankfully, all the connectors have been repinned, so it should work straight up. Before doing so - the voltages from the transformer were checked and were within tolerance. Should simply be a matter of double checking everything and configuring the board for GENIE

Pictures of the machine after completing the playfield ;

Almost everything on the playfield was replaced - including the spot target faces. As we discussed - the contact mylar was trimmed and left intact. So the playfield does not have that high gloss that it would otherwise have. The photos do not show the true shine of the playfield.

Bit of a "test run" with everything re assembled. Looks impressive - what a HUGE machine. The onlt thing missing is the instruction cards which have since been ordered from PBR.

First Game

Pascal Board, new connectors and pins and a functioning playfield - the only fix I had to do was replace the outhole coil. The game basically worked straight away - and those traditionally difficult shots from the bottom flippers to the top LHS targets was a breeze. The game plays VERY well. Just some slight tinkering with the upper flipper EOS - and it was working great !

Finished Machine

Genie is an AWESOME System one machine, but it simple "Beep" and "Boop" system one sounds are poor. Thankfully, the Pascal order had the Auxiliary sound board included - so I could "bypass" the factory soundboard and have the sounds similar to the system 80s series sound boards - made a HUGE difference !

I rate Genie very highly after working on this particular machine. One of my favorite restores.

:D

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia