Author Topic: Skateball and Fathom  (Read 353 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Skateball and Fathom
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »

This is not meant to be a "which is better" thread and I've never played Skateball but I really enjoy this era of machine and absolutely love the art package on it. I also have a Fathom and from the pictures of Skateball I've seen, I can't help but notice how very very similar the layouts are on both games so my query is, how similar are the rules between the two games and how does Skateball play?
I should add I'm not looking to add one to the collection anytime soon but I wouldn't mind one some day.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Skateball and Fathom
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 09:07:46 PM »
I know Nino has some thoughts on this and hopefully will share his knowledge and experiences with us.

I have never played a Fathom so won't be much help but have owned a Skateball and still have a fully populated Skateball playfield  that I might turn into a game one day as it is a cool game and fairly fast for a 1980's game. By the looks it does have some similarities to Fathom but not sure on rules etc.

I would love a Fathom one day as it looks beautiful and looks like a good playing game.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:41:42 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline howzat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
Ive only played Fathom at Pinfest and liked it.   Skate ball ive seen and I think it was your old one Jady    I liked the look of it   Lots of drop targats    Howzat

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:32:46 AM »
Both games lend on WMS "Flash" pretty heavily. Skateball is Drop Target Heaven and has a mini flipper up the top for the 3 DT Bank. Great fun to play and fast gameplay. As with all Bally's from this era, the artwork is awesome. Fairly easy rules to follow, so it does not take too long before some serious high scoring can be done. Not a multiball game. It does have lasting appeal.

Fathom is simply one of Bally's finest moments. A progression from Skateball with the addition of "in line" Drop Targets and memory recall on the targets. So it is a complicated game from a technical design perspective. Rather than one bonus system, it has two. One "green" and one "blue" - so you have two bonus countdowns. The saucers behind the 3 Drop Targets capture two balls and then you knock down the DT's for that ball to be released. It is fast, unforgiving and one of the best playing games of all time. The artwork is in the top 5 art packages for any era.

Skateball could be considered the poorer cousin of Fathom. If you want similar gameplay to Fathom, but you cannot source the game or you don't want to pay over $4000 for a good one, then Skateball is a cheaper alternative.

Both games borrow heavily from Flash, but Flash has a Bally connection with some similarities to 4 Million B.C.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses. It only makes me want a Skateball even more and I see CPR plan on doing new playfields for them as well so that's great news to.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses. It only makes me want a Skateball even more and I see CPR plan on doing new playfields for them as well so that's great news to.

Yes I am sure you would like it and I reckon 80-90% of games would have wear across the middle centre so new playfields would be great.

When I had mine the playfield had wear so was on a mission and located a populated playfield that unfortunately had a few gauges due to poor storage and then found a pf from overseas but also some wear so hard to find a good. Might even have to get a new one when they come out.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:23:21 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 01:13:09 AM »
I have both machines, and the above responses pretty much summarise the gameplay.  Both rank highly for me, as this era of pins (late 70's/early 80's) and Ballys is amongst the best.

Skateball was THE first pin I purchased, and was restored by Nino along its past.  I actually have completed the restoration of the cabinet some months ago (respray), and will get around to a resto thread on that someday soon.  With an exceptionally good BG and day one mylared PF, it's very nice all around.

Skateball is a title you don't see come up much at all.

Fathom, as Nino has covered already, is an amazing and very unique package of art, sounds, and gameplay.  But since you own one no need really for me to say any more on it.

Hope you find a Skateball one day - it's one I think worth having in the collection (at least for a while).