Author Topic: BROKEN POST SCREWS  (Read 489 times)

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
Re: BROKEN POST SCREWS
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
had same problem with my Abra ca dabra,you can get a left hand drill kit (about 12-15 bucks)  ..I used 2.5mm and 3.5mm they come with a ez out with them..Black woods sell them...Dont use oil as coolent as if you need to drill out screw if 1st method does not work ,you have to then glue in ply strips (hoop pine ply ) glue with German  Kliebrit PVA 303.0  it has 3 X body than cheep pva which is watered down. Glue strips in leave for 3 days cut off top and bottom protruding ply strips with side cutters ,sand level with top and bottom (I used a die grinder and high powered glass lens to see properly )..then redrill to take new screw ,touch up art work which will be covered by post anyway..
This worked great for me,took ages,scarry when doing it,but the new holes will be the best ones on your playfield,strong as!      cheers cam

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:55 PM »
had same problem with my Abra ca dabra,you can get a left hand drill kit (about 12-15 bucks)  ..I used 2.5mm and 3.5mm they come with a ez out with them..Black woods sell them...Dont use oil as coolent as if you need to drill out screw if 1st method does not work ,you have to then glue in ply strips (hoop pine ply ) glue with German  Kliebrit PVA 303.0  it has 3 X body than cheep pva which is watered down. Glue strips in leave for 3 days cut off top and bottom protruding ply strips with side cutters ,sand level with top and bottom (I used a die grinder and high powered glass lens to see properly )..then redrill to take new screw ,touch up art work which will be covered by post anyway..
This worked great for me,took ages,scarry when doing it,but the new holes will be the best ones on your playfield,strong as!      cheers cam

Very interesting techinque there Cam .. sure hope I never need to use it though  *.*
Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline AskJacob

• Forum Posts:
  • Normanhurst (Sydney)
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 10:51:18 AM »
I found this pic from when I had the same problem with my stern dracula:

You can see the diamond engraving bit, the 2 screws I removed, and the cheapie jewelers screwdriver used to unscrew them...

Cheers
Jacob

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 11:14:28 AM »
Dremel have a small diamond engraving tool shaped like a "T" - the flat top of the T is like a tiny grinding wheel. Perfect size to reach the post without touching the playfield...

With some care I was able to cut slots into the broken posts, and then unscrew them with a normal flat screwdriver.

Cheers
Jacob
Method I would be using, done this a few time before with success.

I would be careful drilling close to the existing broken screws. If the new thread bites into the broken screw then you will create more problems.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 03:48:37 PM »
Ive found about 20 screws for ya kev ill measure em and get them in the post ^^^

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »
Well back to these broken post screws.
Drilled new holes next to broken screw - Not happy -Post inprint showing where post was.
Tried to find one of those Dremel diamond engraver bits - Couldnt find one.
So last resort - Remove the broken stud - This is what I ended up doing (Picts attached) and was quite happy with the result - Its also a bit quicker.
1. Mask up - in case drill slips
2. Drill little holes around broken screw.
3. Tap broken screw side to side,back to front to loosen up screw (Try not to do too much damage) Remember post will hide any butchering.
4. Grab the top of the broken screw with circlip pliers (Small and strong) and unscrew broken screw- Toss it on the floor and swear at it. ^.^
5. Get the smallest length of wood dowel, cut to length,drill out hole to same dimension as dowell.
6. Apply wood glue and stick in hole, redrill new screw hole and thats it. (If youre bugged by the damage around the dowell,fill it with wood filler,dont    forget the post will hide it.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 11:10:11 AM »
Great to hear you found a workable solution Millsy, and thanks for the detailed description and pics of the technique
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
Hey Kev i buffed the top half of them post screws for you but you will need to hit the thread with a wire brush in your dremel  (I cant find mine lol) ^^^

Ill post em of tomorrow for ya   

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
 ^^^ ^^^ ^^^ Thanks Daniel
Kev
pinballaustralia.com