Author Topic: What makes a coil slow?  (Read 244 times)

Offline DataEast Fan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbournes Yarra Valley
What makes a coil slow?
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:22:48 PM »
Hey Guys

The lost mine VUK in my Whitewater likes to have a slow kick every now and then (I'd say about 1 kick in every 15) When it slow kicks it goes straight between the flippers ^.^
I'm wondering if this is a normal thing for a coil or is this an issue that I need to investigate?

Cheers Mark.
Cheers Mark.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: What makes a coil slow?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:32:48 PM »
One thing to check is that the up Kicker isnt hitting on anything stopping it from shooting the ball my CFTBL hit the playfield just enough to not make the ramp

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »

Most likely not the coil - it will be a friction related issue ;

- Coil Sleeve worn
- Plunger dirty
- coil assembly bent

Just give a visual check first, then tighten any mounting screws etc..

If it is still not good - post a picture, as I cannot recall the exact assembly.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline andrew (nob)

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:11:09 AM »
I had a similar issue that wasnt obvious (to me) at first as it wasnt a friction or electrical issue.

The end of the spring was bent and occasionally it would end up touching part of the assembly causing a "magnetic short" - the whole assembly occasionally became magnetised when the coil was charged. This stopped the arm from being 'ejected' from the coil correctly. Because it only touched occasionally it was an intermittent issue.

andrew

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:09:54 PM »
I also had a similar problem with a DE ST 25th...

Sometimes would have full power and sometimes would feel week..

Checked all the obvious.. coil sleeve, spring, resistance to the coil, to see if it was a mechanical or friction issue... all fine...

Pulled out the coil sleeve just to replace it to be sure and sure enough the coil had heated up at some point and expanded ever so slightly that i could not re fit the new sleeve. The old sleeve was fine as i could remove and refit with no problems..

The issue in my case was the coil....replaced the coil and have not had that problem since. Mind you the coil works fine and measure right its just that i can't get a new sleeve in it !
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:02:51 AM by Pinfan »
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »
I also had a similar problem with a DE ST 25th...

Sometimes would have full power and sometimes would feel week..

Checked all the obvious.. coil sleeve, spring, resistance to the coil, it it was a mechanical or friction issue... all fine...

Pulled out the coil sleeve just to replace it to be sure and sure enough the coil had heated up at some point and expanded ever so slightly that i could not re fit the new sleeve. The old sleeve was fine as i could remove and refit with no problems..

The issue in my case was the coil....replaced the coil and have not had that problem since. Mind you the coil works fine and measure right its just that i can't get a new sleeve in it !

Just get a round file and carefully file out the inner plastic body of the coil.  Just make sure you don't go berserk and file through the plastic.  You should be able to file it down enough though to make it operational again and save some $$$$$.
Addicted to pins.

Offline DataEast Fan

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbournes Yarra Valley
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »
Thanks for the replies Guys and sorry for this late reply back.

I've ended up sorting this issue out, The whole problem ended up being with the set up in the VUK. It had no spring, no ball popper cup and the wrong armature assembly in it. The assembly was relying on the ball landing on the armature neatly when it dropped off the subway ramp.
A quick trip down to Mark C had me leaving with the right gear in hand, 20 mins worth of work (also installed a new coil and sleeve just for good measure) and she now hasn't missed a beat.

Cheers Mark.
Cheers Mark.