Author Topic: Whitewater VUK not firing  (Read 174 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Whitewater VUK not firing
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »
The vertical up kicker on my whitewater is working intermittently.  It makes the whistle noise before it fires, then the sound effect that it normally makes when it fires, but the coil does not actually fire every time.  Normally it makes the noises about 4 or 5 times, then actually fires on about the 5th or 5th go.

When i go into the coil test, same thing, nothing for 15 secs or so, then it will fire (all the other coils fire straight away in the test)

I quickly checked the solder connections on the coil and they seem very sound.

On a side note i noticed bigfoots head has stopped moving, unsure if this is related or not.

Any ideas?

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Whitewater VUK not firing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:25:16 PM »
I think that's solenoid 4 "Lockup Popper"?? If so it's from connector J130, and that string covers your outhole and ball serve for example, so if they're working, it's not likely a wiring issue. if I'm right as to the solenoid number, Bigfoot's on a different connector (two actually). Sounds more like an issue with the coil, electrical or mechanical. Might be worth swapping the diode, and also checking for any mechanical binding issues, or replacing the coil and/or the plunger which can sometimes get magnetised and become faulty.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Whitewater VUK not firing
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
Problem solved.

Replaced TIP36C, TIP102 and 2N5401 predriver for the VUK solenoid and all fixed.

The bigfoot head problem was a wire off connector J122